Can't Find a Powervalve for a '95 YZ250

Southern3.0

Nov 21, 2008
Well I picked up a running '95 YZ250 last week for a few hundred bucks. Rode over the weekend for a few hrs and then decided to go over the bike make sure everything is right with the bike. I found the powervalve linkage wasn't hooked up right and after tearing into it a little more I found out the valve is cracked where the dowel pins hold the 2 half's together and the threads inside of it are striped. So today i went up to the local Yama dealer to try to get parts, they quoted me at a little over $200 for the part and then it turns out its discontinued, and they said the couldn't get it aftermarket either. I tried looking online and could find it so I'm at a loss on what to do now :bang:

Anyone have any Ideas on where to get it or might be able to steer me in the right direction?

Southern3.0

Nov 21, 2008
I snapped a couple of pics of the Fubar'd valve, there a little blurry because I took em with my phone.

Edit: nevermind it wouldn't let me post pics. I'll see if I cant get them up tommarow.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
bikebandit has the part available for $122. My buddy just had to order one for his 89 yz250 and he got it pretty quickly from bikebandit.

txkawboy

Nov 18, 2003
Don't quite understand what is exactly ruined with the valve, but do not make the mistake of putting a pearl necklace on a sow...meaning that unless this bike is in primo condition, fender-to-fender, I would not spend that kind of cash on it. I would either have the valve welded by a boat-prop guy, or epoxy it in place (choosing its permanent position based on what kind of riding the bike is to be used for...).

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
dirt cycle salvage-1508-478-5700
they should be able to get the parts, you might want to keep looking for a better dealer
maybe bike bandit?
yamaha of troy

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
txkawboy said:
Don't quite understand what is exactly ruined with the valve, but do not make the mistake of putting a pearl necklace on a sow...meaning that unless this bike is in primo condition, fender-to-fender, I would not spend that kind of cash on it.

Perhaps he doesn't want to spend the amount of money it takes to buy a "primo condition" bike? The last bike I found in "primo condition" was sitting on a showroom floor. :think:

I say find the parts and have fun riding. I spend way more than that on basic upkeep, registrations and insurance every year. Add in tires, fuel, oil, filters, chains, sprockets ...

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I agree with the above post. IMO any bike that runs is worth dropping a couple hundred on for repairs when needed. I guess if you're loaded and can toss your bike every year or two and pick up a "primo condition" bike then good for you! The rest of us will keep limping along with our old bikes and be perfectly happy to do so.

txkawboy

Nov 18, 2003
I see that u two dudes both ride old ratbikes...and there is nothing wrong with that. BUT, if he wants to truly save $$$, then a WORN-out "bargain" bike can be just the opposite. They will quickly nickel-and-dime you to death, PLUS you keep missing out on riding, waiting for the UPS truck.

Southern3.0: Parts prices for bikes go WAY up once they are several years old, making a "primo" used bike actually CHEAPER in the long run than a well-worn, "really cheap" one...
Used bikes are only as good as their needs...KTM's, Gas-Gas, and Honda's tend to last the longest. Also, 1990's Yamaha's like yours tend to wear out the tang on the powervalve, making it then contact the piston, so I would be leery of a used YZ powervalve, sight unseen! Otherwise, salvage yards are great for a lot of stuff.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Well, boys, the Center of Texas has spoken! We must sell our "ratbikes" and buy newer ones! :blah:

I don't quite see how the model year determines any of our bikes to be "old ratbikes", but I guess we've been judged, sight unseen.

Not everyone has the upfront cash to buy the newer iron out there. Running an older bike may be the only option in the budget. $200 in parts here and there vs. the cost for a newer bike determines what you can do.

Southern 3.0: Get out there and find your parts, fix the problem, go ride and have a good time. Take it from a guy that has kept bikes over 10 years old running fine and did it on the cheap.

Brandonyz250

Aug 15, 2014
I have the same problem does anyone one know were i can get one or if any other years fit my linkage is fine just the pin broke out the top of the valve and the part is discontinued

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom