RodA

Apr 29, 2004
2001 YZ125,
I have the nut off but can't pull the clutch basket out. Everything I read says it should slide right out after the nut comes off. Is there a trick or puller to get it out? I woud rather not damage the basket if I don't have to.

Thanks

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
did you take the inner hub out already?

Sometimes the oil will cause them to get sorta stuck on.. maybe shoot a little carb cleaner in there on the shaft.. break that lock the oil has on the parts.

RodA

Apr 29, 2004
good idea, I have sprayed it but no luck yet. Maybe after soaking a while it will come loose. I can spin the basket via the kickstart lever without a problem so I don't understand why I can't just slide it off the bearing???

RodA

Apr 29, 2004
I now pulled the water pump and side cover off to get more access to pull the basket. Still can't get it to budge. See pic.

Attachments

• YZ125.jpg
    YZ125.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,362

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Maybe try putting the kick starter back on the shaft and wiggle it around a little bit... maybe the gears are bunched up/binding.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
RodA said:
good idea, I have sprayed it but no luck yet. Maybe after soaking a while it will come loose. I can spin the basket via the kickstart lever without a problem so I don't understand why I can't just slide it off the bearing???

Oops... guess you already tried the kick starter thing... nevermind...

How about trying to pry the back of the basket with a little bit of pressure, and tap the center shaft with a rubber mallet... maybe break it loose if it's stuck on the bearing.

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
Try warming the hub up to 150/200 degrees f. It looks as if there is a spanner nut at the bearing location in the basket. Have you overlooked some thing in your shop manual? Have ice standing by to keep the shaft cold. Good luck...

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Thats a pretty good issue! You can not grab it, and rock it off? The only thing left is the drive gear, pop the bolt off and see if it loosens up the pressure on the basket? Vintage Bob

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Refer to part #13 on the clutch diagram on bikebandit.com and make sure it's off. Had a similar issue with one of my son's bikes. Used a magnet to pull it out and the basket came right off.

RodA

Apr 29, 2004
Went to Sears and bought a puller, worked great. Took a bit of pressure but then poped right off.

Then the bad news, and the reason I took it apart in the first place. The bearing behind the basket in to the gearbox is shot. I pulled the motor and have it on the bench now. I have never opened a motor before so this should be fun. I expect I'll be back here asking a bunch of questions as I continue to run in to new challenges.

Thanks all for your help.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I sure hope you are not planning on reusing that basket. It has 2 strikes against it already. Its notched and you had to extract it with a puller. Try and find a complete as you can engine kits, complete seal, bearing and gaskets kits are a lot cheaper to buy. Check the shafts carefully where the bearings ride, measure them. It should all be in the shop manual. Good luck. Vintage Bob

tom_yota

Mar 19, 2010
oldguy said:
I can see why you are replacing it almost as banged up as mine

that basket looks pretty mint compared to the one I pulled from my bike..
Feb13-Teardown10.jpg

I wouldn't even hesitate to file that basket down to take the ridges out of it.. However if it was damaged in using the puller I'd be concerned..

Top Bottom