Carb dumpin fuel out of bottom, on my yz250f

Copenhagen

Oct 27, 2005
tried searching a bit, but search isnt working for me

My '04 yz250f has been sitting for about a year, and ive decided to sell it. I went out to the garage to start it up, and after a few kicks, I smelled fuel, really strong. I look under the bike and theres gas dumping all over the ground.

I turned off the gas, and it stopped, so i turn it back on and it dumps again, out of a tube that comes out of the bottom of the carb. Obviously something is gummed up or stuck open in that carb. I dont work on bikes much, Wheelin trucks, im fine with, but I havent screwed with bikes too much.

Anyway like i said im trying to sell this thing to help fund my truck project, anyone have any ideas as to what i can do to resolve this problem?

thx

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
Sounds like the float/needle is stuck. May try tapping the carb around the bowl area with the plastic handle of a screwdriver. Sometimes that will put it to working. Try it before tearing into it.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Chances are its just gummed up, or just a little hung? If the plastic end of a screwdriver does not jar it into working, drop the bowl and clean. There is always that float valve, that should be replaced yearly. You do not know where you live, if its in a cold climate, froze water in the pump gas? That is a very expensive carb. Be cautious! Vintage Bob

Copenhagen

Oct 27, 2005
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Chances are its just gummed up, or just a little hung? If the plastic end of a screwdriver does not jar it into working, drop the bowl and clean. There is always that float valve, that should be replaced yearly. You do not know where you live, if its in a cold climate, froze water in the pump gas? That is a very expensive carb. Be cautious! Vintage Bob

Just moved back to Hillsboro Oregon, from Twin Falls idaho. Been 50's here as of late, so it should be well thawed out.

I tried tapping on it, right when i saw it was leaking, didnt work, but ill try it again. What about sprayin some carb cleaner down the intake?

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
Copenhagen said:
Just moved back to Hillsboro Oregon, from Twin Falls idaho. Been 50's here as of late, so it should be well thawed out.

I tried tapping on it, right when i saw it was leaking, didnt work, but ill try it again. What about sprayin some carb cleaner down the intake?

Just recently had a problem like this on my 2000 CR125, I turned the gas on, an 15 seconds later it was coming out of the overflow line on the bottom of the carb. Either the float is getting stuck, or there is a leak in the float, making it not float, and leaving the needle open.

Also, could be the float level is wrong.

Spraying fluid down the intake wont do anything. Pull the carb, clean it well, inspect the needle and float, put it back together and see if it still does it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom