Carb Vent Line Question - KLX110

mele63

Feb 16, 2006
I have a question regarding my son's KLX 110. It is stalling after water crossings. I'm going to install a "T" in the carb vent line.

QUESTION: there are two lines coming off the carb and going down through the skid plate. One is at the top of the carb and the other is at he bottom, near the float bowl.

Which line would be the one that would cause the bike to stall if blocked with water?

I can put a "T" in both lines, but I'm curious to know the answer to this. Thanks in advance.

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
I put tees on all four of the lines on my KTM and routed the second set of hoses up above the airbox.

I am not sure, however, if one hose kept above the water will keep the carb from getting vacuum locked, or if you need all of them above the water line.

Better safe then sorry.

Mully

Last edited:

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
Top tube is float bowl vent, bottom tube is overflow. Are you sure it'e the carb that's causing the stalling?

How deep are the water crossings you mention?

mele63

Feb 16, 2006
Thanks....

No I'm not sure it's the vent tubes....we're talking about mud puddles basically and small steams.

The vent tubes are my next thing to try. Seems like others have reported the exact same thing....

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=81990&highlight=KLX+water

....but no CLEAR solution. We'll see what happens on today's ride. I'm starting to think it may be a design defect w/the holes in the upper frame tube feeing air to the air box.....steam off hot engine getting up in there.

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
That's interesting...but I'm sure pretty frustrating when you can't pinpoint the problem. My first thoughts were electrical maybe shorting, or sucking water in the cylinder somehow.

I'm positive that I've completely submerged the carbs on every bike I've owned, and they kept on going like the energizer bunny.

I'd start looking for possible places for the ignition to maybe ground out when wet. Just my two cents. Good luck with it.

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
dezryder said:
I'm positive that I've completely submerged the carbs on every bike I've owned, and they kept on going like the energizer bunny.

Just because your bikes have never done it doesn't mean it doesn't happen to others.

However, I do not think putting tee's on your vent lines will correct your problem if all your riding through are mud puddles and small streams. The hoses that hang down have to be submerged to cause a vacuum lock effect.

Check your electricals. Silicon seal the wiring harness where it leaves the engine. Check connectors to make sure they are clean and wrap with tape to keep water out.

Mully

Top Bottom