carbon fiber pipe guards for older bikes

oilspot

Sep 11, 2006
I put a pro circuit pipe on my 92' rmx 250. And yes, it makes a huge differance!!!
Anyway... I started looking for a carbon fiber pipe guard and haven't had any luck. I've heard that the aluminum ones are noisy and cost about 60% of what a CF ones do. Does anybody know of any companies making CF pipe guards for older bikes.
I was lucky enough to find the pro circuit pipe once. I don't think I'll be that lucky again.

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
MXSOUTH
Click
scroll down to part SPGPCRMX. It's 4th up from bottom.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Ever think of making your own? Carbon fiber cloth is readily available as are epoxy resins. Just make a fiberglass or plaster mold of the pipe, coat it with poly-vinyl alcohol or methyl ethyl ketone peroxide, lay in some cloth, wet everything out with epoxy, and give it a few passes with a resin roller.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
I've never seen any CF pipe guards for bikes that old. The RMX is going to make it even more difficult as that model is much more rare than a plain old RM.

I think the "roll your own" option might be your only choice.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I have had good results with West System resin, I don't know the temperature rating, though. It works well with fiberglass, but I believe it will work with carbon fiber as well.

ZOMBIE666

Mar 24, 2006
76GMC1500 said:
Ever think of making your own? Carbon fiber cloth is readily available as are epoxy resins. Just make a fiberglass or plaster mold of the pipe, coat it with poly-vinyl alcohol or methyl ethyl ketone peroxide, lay in some cloth, wet everything out with epoxy, and give it a few passes with a resin roller.
You wont be able to get the part to be nearly as strong or long lasting as a MFGd part without an autoclave tho. also the higher end MFGs like E-line use kevlar in their pipe guards as well as the CF to make them much stronger.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I think half the problem with weak carbon fiber from DIYers is because they use polyester resin. Epoxies are much stronger and more flexible. You won't have any strength problems if you use epoxy and get good saturation with resin.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
E-line does make them for at least a '93 RMX. Your's does have a differet pipe (the inlet is larger and the discharge longer.) Give them a call.

rider3302

Mar 8, 2005
Id give eline a call to see if they have something. If not... you could coat the alum. pipeguard with either bed liner paint (wallys sells it) or some kind of plasti coat from a hardware store. It works on the inside of a skidplate to quiet it down, it should work on a pipe guard as well.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
rider3302 said:
Id give eline a call to see if they have something. If not... you could coat the alum. pipeguard with either bed liner paint (wallys sells it) or some kind of plasti coat from a hardware store. It works on the inside of a skidplate to quiet it down, it should work on a pipe guard as well.

Uh, a skidplate doesn't get anywhere near as hot as an exhaust pipe.

Top Bottom