Kx85Krazy

Mar 14, 2008
Pulse Cover Generator (CDI cover?)

Yeah, its me again. And now i sorta figured out whats going on. My xl185 honda keeps shorting out and shutting off whenever i put the cdi (it says CDI on it, apparently its called a Pulse Generator cover) cover back on. Where and why could this be shorting?
its number 5 in the diagram

Attachments

• pulse generator cover.gif
    6.3 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
If you look at the pulse coil #4, the wire that exits the case has a rubber grommet on it. I suspect that is where your problem is. If a large stress was placed on the wire, the insulation could have broken free, exposing the wire. When you put the cover on, you are pinching the wires together causing a short. Based on your discription in the other thread, it runs with the cover off, cuts out when you hold the cover on, and dies when you mount the cover.
Get some heat shrink tubing, strip back the insulation on each wire, cover with heat shrink and try again. It may be necessary to replace the wire all the way from the pulse cool out of the case. Be sure to clean the connections and be quick with the soldering iron. Insulate and cover with heat shrink. I had to replace a pulse coil on my atv and broke one of the leads. After re-soldering the connection and covering with heat shrink, I put the cover on, filled with oil and the little 230cc engine runs great.

Kx85Krazy

Mar 14, 2008
thanks. I actually did just that yesterday, runs like a champ now

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
:) :) :)

Top Bottom