TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000

"Chad Reed makes BRW rich list

By: Garry Morrow

Wednesday, 15th December, 2004

Australian AMA Supercross Champion Chad Reed has put Motocross/Supercross back in the Australian main stream media headlines once again, this time for his bulging bank balance.

22-year-old Reed placed fourth in the Business Review Weekly (BRW) magazine's top 50 sports rich list. Beating Reed to the top spot on the podium was golfer Greg Norman, Tennis Ace Lleyton Hewitt and Soccer star Harry Kewell.

With earnings of $6.5 million for the 2004 season, Reed out paced stars such as Swimmer Ian Thorpe, boxer Kostya Tszyu but was well of the pace when it came to Greg Norman's $230 million

Reed's next outing will be at Anaheim in California for the opening round of the AMA Supercross Championship where he will defend his current title
."

I wonder how that compares to other top riders such as James and Ricky? I imagine that's Australian Dollars not US.

AngryCandy

Mar 2, 2001
SpectraSVT said:
$230 million for Greg Norman? WTF!!! Thats some serious bank.

That guy is a smart businessman. He has taken his famous name and run with it, producing his own line of wines, clothing, and iirc, is heavily involved in real-estate development.

dante

Mar 24, 2004
I work for a city & regional magazine and have been to Norman Estates to deliver stuff... With the Greg Norman designed golf course at PGA west and the homes allong his fairways... Pretty nice places... Really nice places actually... I'm not too suprised he made 230 mill last year...

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
$630,000 a day. And I didn't even know he was still alive.

twoofeach

Dec 15, 2004
You should see his boat..ahhh..I mean battleship. He's got one of those jet helicopters too. He was one of the first pro golfers to market himself, Reebok Golf, plus he always dressed daper so it was only fitting he start his own line of "Shark" clothing. That was like almost 20 years ago. Oh yeah, I doubt if he made $500,000 playing golf last year and most of that was probably for appearance fees. MX and golf have much in common in terms of how the athletes get paid. Obviously, the prize money is much more in golf. The US Open's $100,000 grand prize is what a 4-5th place finish will get you on almost any weekend in golf. However, golfers just like MX'ers get most of their money from their sponsors. So, keeping on the Greg Norman topic, McGrath, like Norman, is semi-retired. Not really out there battling week to week for a Championship yet, they draw more fans and money to events than some of the people on the top.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
official events this year he played 7 and made $14,000,,, unofficial events he played on in November and made $87,500.

He has made over a million playing only once since 95 and only 5 times ever. and never made more than 2 million in a year from golf. No doubt he is a great golfer, and better than average pro golfer. but a fantastic businessman

just to compare
Tiger has not made less than 5 million in a year from playing since 98

Last edited:
Top Bottom