wfocrusty

Nov 2, 2001
Well, the day started out with the usual bummer when I went to hook up the trailer and found one of the tires flat. Instead of changing it, I just decided to ride into Chadwick again. While floundering in haste to get my gear on, I forgot to tighten my seat bolts back down (I was charging the battery) and on the way in lost one of my new sidepanels!!! Brilliant! Oh well, what's another $50. :|

After hauling posterior down farm rd. 171, I finally arrived at the pavilion. The K.C. group (Jason, Jim & Pat) and Darren House looked as fresh as morning daisies. I pulled in and elicited the customary salutations and was immediately informed that one of my side panels was missing. Great way to start the day! Jason introduced me to Jim, Pat & Darren and we set off to find adventure.

Since Pat hadn't had the fortune of experiencing Chadwick before (on the brand spanking new 250SX), we took a scenic run down 126 and then proceeded to Dairy Queen (we went down, so it wasn't THAT bad). I took the relatively easy western side and everyone made it down unscathed. Jim looked a little "white," but didn't complain that much. No dented pipes or bodies, so it was off to 104.

As we went hauling down to the 102/101 junction we ran into (almost literally) some ***s and I accidentally nudged the fender of one gal who zinged when she should have zagged. A thousand pardons to the lady (I think....) and I sincerely hope you learn to ride on the right side of the trail when approaching traffic! We tooled on down to the entrance of 104 and it didn't look nearly as bad as I had expected. A little slimey, but pretty tractable overall. We picked our way up the trail and lost Jim somewhere along the way. A few minutes later he showed up and we learned he had taken a little spill and received his first "Chadwick tatoo." 104 was fast, but not quite so open. I was hauling a little faster than I should have and came upon several "road blocks." I finally realized that the trees were downed intentionally on the trail. I'm assuming by the Forrestry Service...my apolgies. We squirted on through some fairly tight, rocky sections to get everyone loosened up and then headed for a scenic view of Red Bridge. The clear running water was deep and inviting as it was getting pretty warm by this time.

We headed back to 104 and (this is where the fun begins) I proceeded to plop into what should be an easily crossable ditch. It seems my 520 decided to develop a case of the hiccups and bogged everytime I blipped the throttle to make the 2' jump. After falling into the little canyon about six times (to everyone's amusement), I finally got a slightly longer run at it and clutched the big dog like a 125. Success, I was on the other side feeling somewhat like Evil Kinevil at Snake River.....

We then made our way up to my favorite section of 104. The terrain is relatively open, the trail is fast and wandering, the sun is shining through the trees....a perfect day. The occasional limb hanging out trying to decapitate us were the only real hazzards we came across. We roosted through the remaining trail and then intended on heading back to the truck. Jason decided to do some bank jumping on 121 as we went back. Darren was getting some big air and we decided to capture a Kodak moment. There will be some pics forthcoming...hopefully the Wal-Mart photo dept. will actually develop all of them this time. :debil:

We made way back to the pavilion and enjoyed some of Pat's excellent ham SAMMICHES...thank's Pat! After a brief rest we were back on the trail heading to 119 and the "Widowmaker." After instructing everyone on what to expect, we watched a trials rider putt up the knarly wall in FOURTH gear....how difficult could it be???? Jason took the fast line the first time and squirted right up it (Grrrrr). I floundered my way up the hill a couple of times and then found out that hot ticket was to click up a gear. Easy climb after that. Thanks, Jason.

Jim took a couple of tries and did very well with the SX. After a couple of get offs he cleared the top and was all smiles. Horsepower is king! Pat and the hill didn't get along too well, but he gave it a valiant effort. Soon after, Lindsey, my buddy with the mighty 540 Katoom laid waste to half the hill trying to go up it sideways. A couple of his buddies, one on a 250F were putting on a real show. It looked like a rodeo, as Jason said, with arms and legs flailing and near misses with solidly planted trees. Got some good shots of the underside of skid plates and bodies / bikes rolling down the hill. Again, hopefully, pics will be posted later.

Next was 108...one of my favorite haul *** sections. However, somebody again dropped some strategically placed trees on the trail and I almost had to clean my pants after coming around a tight corner and encountering a horizontal grove of hickory. After composing myself, I again proceeded down the trail where I almost wadded myself in the second pile of timber. But, the third one I was ready for! What was once a fast, wide-open section of single track had turned into a slalom course. Hopefully, there will be some trail clean up done soon.....

We then moved to the "cliff dive" section going over to 135 (nice steep drop offs that are more fun going up than down). Then we took an easy run down 135 and again encountered numerous downed trees. We took a right onto 132 and went through some nasty rocks (sorry guys) and although there were some ****s & ****s, everyone eventually made it up. From there we cruised easily through 132A and then back to 171 and the pavilion.

All in all, it was a very fun ride and we took a pretty good tour of the terrain available there.

Last edited:

knobby hob

Apr 7, 2002
Wfo Crusty ,
Thanks for the report, sounds like you all had a great time. When your not able to ride sure is nice to read about them, " almost" like being there, except you dont have to wash the bike. Where abouts, and how do you get to " the scenic view of Red Bridge"? I have never heard of it before, sounds like a great trail.

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
Hey Crusty. Was 101 that bad? I heard they closed the trail down. I'm sure the rain we've gotten lately has taken it toll on it.

Blue Thunder

~SPONSOR~
Dec 20, 2000
Great report Mr.Crusty, thanks so much for leading us around for the day, so many laughs and good memories implanted from this last ride! The rocks, ledges,climbs, downhills,fast stuff..really fast stuff...ahhh it is dirt biking at its best. The fun at Widowmaker hill was just a hoot, watching Pat...loopout and loopout time and again...oh my! Jim and the SX, that boy did good, having been a virgin of Chadwick, he is now hooked. Getting a 10oz. flywheel weight for him today, that should make that over powered 250sx really hook! YIKES!
The Red Bridge was awesome, can't wait for late June to bail off the bikes and go for a swim there, I can so many good times yet to come for this 02' riding season...so far it has been a blast.
101 was open and full of q u a d s and water puddles, nothing unrideable, just quite a bit of traffic. Amazing how many people can be in the parking area, yet once you are out on the trails, you feel like you have the place to yourself...again, anyone from the 4state area that has not treated themselves to Chadwick(Mark Twain Nat'l Forest) is missing out!
Let's not forget the merry band of Trail70 pitbike riders, we are pulling out and what do we hear...a low growl of small bore 4strokes...mmmmm what could it be...yep, its 6-7 old pit bikes, w/skate board gear clad adult riders..talk about funny..some of these guys looked like a polar bear riding a tricycle..too funny. They passed us when we were driving out on the gravel fire road..just a sight you must see for yourself..LMAO!
Jason

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Glad you guys had a good time! Wish I could have been there. We hung around Turkey Bay Sat. and Monday. Here's a tip for you guys: NEVER come to Turkey Bay on Mem. Day weekend. Way too crowded.

wfocrusty

Nov 2, 2001
Sorry I missed the Honda 70 brigade....sounds like that was the highlight of the day! Hey, to each his own...if they're having fun, more power to them! At least they're one up on the no helmeted, #3 mullet, no-shirt, shorts & tennis shoes *** riders we see down there all the time. GIT-IT, GIT-IT!!!

Wraith, no 101 wasn't closed...yet, but there were some big puddles left over from the rains. But, nothing like the B-day ride we had the previous weekend.

Knobby, Red Bridge is actually over Bull Creek just outside the Chadwick boundary. My KTM is licensed, so I can run down Red Bridge Rd. (just off of 104) and be right there. For you non-licensed riders, you can take your truck, etc. out of Cobb Ridge campground, go south on H just a couple of more miles and you'll run into Red Bridge Rd. from the east side. Just go down a couple of miles and you will be there. There is a rope swing under the bridge that we play on. Watch out for snakes! :aj:

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
Crusty, It must be nice to be that close to Chadwick that you can ride there. It is a 3hours Plus for me to get there without stopping. I had a crew down there on bikes preping for the race this weekend. You might have seen 'em. Dudes on bikes with characters strapped to there chest protector backs.(its a hare scramble thing). Glad you had a good time. i won't make it back down until fall. i don't like the foliage rubbing me off my bike plus it limits the visibilty of where you can't see the downed trees or quads.
108 had trees on it 2 weeks ago..didn't try 104 though it sounds like are forestry buddies are at it again.

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
Crusty. It must just be the East part of 101 they closed down> right when you turn into Cobb Ridge. They had a sign up. I just didn't know how far it was closed down that trail. I think we'll be tagging along with one of our buddies down ther Saturday. He got a new trials bike. So we want to help him hop around on it. And watch him break it in ;)

wfocrusty

Nov 2, 2001
Wraith, we were at the pavillion and we went down to 101 via 121. There was nothing posted that I saw about it being closed. Wish I could join you on Saturday, but I've got baby sitting duties and a lot of honey-dos on my list this weekend.

Knobby, the only snakes I've seen are black snakes. They get pretty big, but don't really pose a threat if you leave them alone. A couple of guys have told me they have seen copperheads on the trails, but I've personally never come across one. They would definately be the ones to stay away from.

Yeah, Kevin...if I recall there was a couple of guys posting markers. I didn't bother to stop and ask what they were setting up for, though. Fall is along ways off....I guess I'll have to trek up north for a summer ride then. How's that back doing?

Cal, I hope I can get time to head down to T-Bay soon. Do you know of any watercraft rental places on the lake that are reasonable?

I also stopped into Wally World today to get the pics. I called first to make sure they had them developed. Well guess what....they misplaced one of the three packets. :debil: And of course it was the one that had most of the good pics on it. I got a few though to post, but I haven't figured out how to do it yet. Hopefully tomorrow.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Originally posted by wfocrusty
Cal, I hope I can get time to head down to T-Bay soon. Do you know of any watercraft rental places on the lake that are reasonable?

I know of some rentals...but none are reasonable, imo. I used to work at KY Dam Marina. Their Seadoos are $50 per hour or $350 per day...ouch! They have a good mechanic though, so I would trust their machines over anyone elses. There is also Moore's marina and Green Turtle Bay. Not sure on their prices though.

We're having a pretty good ride at TB this coming Friday/Sat. June 8. Oughta try and make it.

Click Here

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
I was wrong. I just called all three Marinas. All are $50 per hour or $300 per day. Moore's and Ky Dam are for 8 hour days, Green Turtle Bay you get 9 hours for the daily rate(8-5).

I'm assuming you meant personal watercraft, i.e. jetskis.

They also have pontoons and ski boats that rent out cheaper.

wfocrusty

Nov 2, 2001
Hey CAL;

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I was hoping jet-skis would be reasonable down there. They are outrageous here, also. Hmmmm, might be a good business to get into???

Anyway, I'd love to ride there next week, but I don't think momma's going to let me. Late June or early July is possible. I know you said you were going to STL on the weekend of the 4th. I've got a 4 day weekend on that one, so I know I'll be going somewhere. Maybe I can coerce someone into hauling a watercraft down there with them. I may buy one and haul it down myself. I've been promising the Mrs. that I'd do that for some time now, but I'll have to unload some bikes if I do. I'll keep you posted!

Any of you K.C. boys interested in going down to T-Bay to play on the trails and in the water this summer? I know Blue Thunder is lookin' fer a swimmin' hole....I think he just wants to strip down nekkid and jump in. :aj:

kc-husky

~SPONSOR~
Dec 31, 2000
Wade's the (Catfish) in the KC group, but I'm not saying that Jason wouldn't do that. Crusty, did you get the other batch of pictures from the inbreds at Wally world yet?

Pat

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
I'd love to ride there next week, but I don't think momma's going to let me.

Gotta keep momma happy! :)

Late June or early July is possible.

I'll be in New Orleans the last week in June. I may be coming home from New Orleans early so that I can go up to ride at Wardy's that weekend. Not quite sure I can handle that much driving though. :scream:

I may back out of the St. Louis trip?? :think: Depends on how hot and dry it is then. Turkey Bay gets VERY dusty and miserable when it's hot and dry. The hills block all wind and it can get dangerously hot during the dead of summer. If you guys can wait until early fall, just before the leaves fall, it will be much more enjoyable. Don't wait till after the leaves fall, though. There's lots of suprises layin' under them ther leaves. ;)

wfocrusty

Nov 2, 2001
Pat, I just posted the pics on the KCriders group. I couldn't figure it out here. Not all the pics came out, but I did get one of you on Widowmaker. Catfish and Jason "Hawkins" should still have plenty of water to swim in at least one of the cricks in the area. Did someone say they were bringin' adult beverages????? :confused:

CAL, we've got another B-day ride apparently on June 29-30 so I won't be down then. If it doesn't downpour right before July 4th, then I guess I'll hold off until fall. :ugg:

Last edited:

wfocrusty

Nov 2, 2001
Wraith;

The pics are on the KCRiders website. You have to be a member to access them, but I'm sure they'd accept your application...it doesn't take long to join. PM me if you would like to get on.

They are a great bunch of guys (haven't met any females yet...sorry if I was politically incorrect!) that come down to C'wick fairly often and we try to get together as much as schedules will allow.

I'm sure you've been down to Garrison and Swan Creek. That is where I was thinking of taking the boys for a B-day swim when they come down the end of June.

Top Bottom