Changed oil, now clutch noise ???

MCKDX220

Apr 2, 2013
Just purchased a new to me 2000 KDX 220. I have been going through the bike fixing any warts and decided to change the transmission oil. It made some slight sound which from the research I could gather is the KIPS valve, no big issue. I just wanted to go through 'er and start off with fresh fluids. So I put in some 5w-40w synthetic Shell Rotella T, which I put in all my bikes. Any rate, I go start it up to see if the oil level changes and I cruise down the road and back, I come back and it is making a very bad clutch noise. Now I did some research and one guy stating that retorqing the clutch springs should sort it out, so I tightened them up to ~ 8ft lbs, noise did not change. Does the oil weight really effect noise level in the clutch that bad ??? If so, is the solution to increase the oil level well past the oil level site glass, or just go with automatic transmission fluid, or a lighter weight motor oil. Wow, sounds like a box of marbles in there. Heck, all I did was change the oil.

Thanks !!!

EYY

May 22, 2010
Can you give us some more details on the noise? Does it do it only when hot or cold? Does it disappear or increase when revved?

As for the kips noise, some people overfill it slightly to help quieten it down, although some have said that the extra oil created extra drag and stopped the motor from picking up revs as easily.

MCKDX220

Apr 2, 2013
So it sounded a whole lot better before the oil change and now it sounds like this; Go to You Tube and post "Kawasaki KDX200 noise". Dirtrider will not let me post the URL link.

It sounds like a upper end rod knock now. I am speculating it is all clutch rattle. I would not have purchased the bike if sounded like this when I bought it. This can't be normal. I now have the oil filled past the oil sight glass, so if anything, I have to much oil.

Thanks !!!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Dump the entire qt into the bike, I've experience the load clutch noise on a KX, I switched to ATF type F and haven't used anything else sense. I change the fluid every other ride and I use the cheapest ATF I can find. Shifts are better and lowers the noise from the clutch.

MCKDX220

Apr 2, 2013
Changed to Chrysler Synthetic ATF, noise is still there not as bad, however when you pull in the clutch it really quiets down. I can only speculate why it makes so much noise, so when the time comes, will inspect the wear points. My educated guess is the clutch hub springs that are the back of the clutch. Dunno, At least it sounds more like my KTM 520 EXC, so it does give me a higher level of comfort.

Taking it out on it's maiden voyage this weekend, so we'll see what it is like riding a 2 stroke for the first time in 20+ years. I gotta relearn to turn again without the benefit of engine breaking.

Thanks for the help !!!

Michael

Top Bottom