1. MODERATOR NEEDED!
    If you have a good deal of RV / Camper / Trailer knowledge and want to help out the community by moderating a new forum here on DRN, please message me. Industry pro's are welcome.

Changing oil on yz450f

Discussion in '4-Stroke Discussion' started by boardadikt, Nov 4, 2003.

1. boardadikt

boardadikt Rookie DRN Member

Well I only got to ride my yz450f twice since I got it (its getting cold here in MN) and tried changing the oil. I need tips from those of you who have one. I drained the oil from the frame and engine but couldn't get to the other smaller (8mm bolt) drain next to the 12mm bolt drain under the engine. What do you use to get to the little bolt? Also, I couldn't disconnect the oil hose, do you have to take off the water pump guard? Is there a trick to it? I also couldn't get the frame bolt/filter off? It wouldn't turn at all...how do you guys get it off? I was told to make sure you clean that out. The oil filter went in easy. It cost $10, is there any other filter that works good and is cheaper? Any filter to definately NOT put in? Any oil recommendations--i got the Yammalube 10W30 for the colder weather??? Thanks for any help.

2. nikki

nikki Moto Junkie

I'm assuming the 450F oil system is the same as the 250F... all I do is drain through 3 spots - the bolt near the shifter, the frame bolt, and the filter cover. The only time I removed the "Y" shaped oil line thingie was when I put rings in my bike and decided to tear a bunch of stuff apart. I also removed the oil strainer in the frame at that time and had to have Red break loose the frame oil strainer bolt for me. He just used a big wrench and twisted it loose. To my surprise, I found pieces of tree/stick like stuff in the frame strainer.

For filters... I immediately went with a Scotts stainless steel filter. Yeah it's $80, but it'll be the last filter you buy as you can easily clean and reuse it. I figured the stock paper filters don't last too long, cost $10 to replace, and you have to worry about always having a spare... so the Scotts was a no-brainer.
  3. Treejumper

Treejumper 2 wheeled idiot Damn Yankees

I do the same as Nikki. The little hard to get bolts only drain out few extra drops of oil that IMO dont make a difference in the oil change. I actually think you can get more oil out of the normal 3 places by letting it sit an extra minute after it starts dripping than you would by wasting 10mins trying to get at the 2 remaining bolts.
  4. Treejumper

Oh yeah, i'd get the Stainless steel filter too. I already wasted $50 on stock filters this year. Its on my Christmas list. :)
  5. boardadikt

boardadikt Rookie DRN Member

Tree Jumper--have you cleaned the frame strainer? I read an article in the new Dirt Rider (I think thats the one) and it said to make sure to clean out the strainer. I couldn't get the oil hose off of it. There is no room to move the metal tube that descends from the strainer down to the engine because the water pump protector??? The manual says to use 90Newtons to Torque the frame strainer bolt on. That is pretty darn tight!

I read another article (or maybe that same one) that said not use the metal re-usable oil filters---I can't remember what the reason was...I'm going to find that mag and read it again.

What oil do you use and how much does it cost? Is it sythetic or semi synthetic?

thanks again
  6. BSWIFT

BSWIFT Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator N. Texas SP

You must remove the metal tube at the bottom of the engine to get the hose/strainer off.
  7. Treejumper

Havent done the strainer this summer. I'll be doing it after i get my last major ride in at the end of November. As for oil i cant remember the weight (5w-30??) off hand and i keep the bike in the shop at parents. I use Yamaha's Semi Synthetic 4R oil. It takes alittle over a quart of oil. I get 4 oil changes out of 5 quarts and my cost from the local Yammy shop is $4/qt. I havent checked online prices as i try to support them when i can since they are good guys.
  8. Anssi

Anssi Rookie DRN Member

I get the bolt with the 8mm head near the shifter out by removing the frame guard. Takes less than a minute.

I have cleaned the strainer twice in 35 hours of riding (= three or four filter changes, six oil changes). Never had anything on it. I removed the guard to first pull of the hose and then had a good wrench to yank the strainer loose.
  9. xxdcshoeusaxx

xxdcshoeusaxx Rookie DRN Member

i need some help im changeing the oil in my yz 450f 2004 and im not sure where to fill up the oil at. could someone help me out?
  10. BlueDevil2490

BlueDevil2490 Rookie DRN Member

Oil Level Check

How do I check the oil leve on my YZ450F?
  11. arnego2

arnego2 Member DRN Member

warm up the bike and use the dip stick, sitting in front of the cylinder. YZF 450 year 2006 -2009