nun67

~SPONSOR~
Sep 6, 2002
Hello, If I change the stock reeds on my sons kx60 to Boysen pro series reeds, will the stock jetting be a safe starting point ? I am just starting to get into this Motocross Dad thing and love it , I just dont want to cause any damage to the bike. Buy the way this site has been a great help.
Thanks

kxdad

Aug 24, 2002
More than likely the aftermarket reeds will give you a rich jetting, stock will be safe to start but more than likelyl you will have to go leaner, probably on the main for sure. the kx 60 are lean off the bottom when there stock reeds in them, normally you can go one richer on the pilot to help the flat spot off the bottom when you crack the throttle. Do a plug chop after you install your new reeds and check the top end jetting.

kxdad

Aug 24, 2002
The plug chop gives you a chance to check the plugs color at full throttle, you do this by riding the bike and putting the bike in second or third gear run at full throttle for 5 or 10 seconds and then simultaniosly (spelling ?) shut the throttle off and pull in the clucth and hit the kill switch at the same time and then coast to a stop. It sounds hard but once you try it a couple of times you'll catch on. You probably want to do this not your son. The idea is not to let the bike idle after you come off full throttle. Pull the plug out after you coast to a stop and check the color of the plug, Black would be to rich and white would be to lean, You want to be a light brown or so. Change your jetting accordingly.

Top Bottom