Changing sports. MX or Enduro? Light rider

ishyboo

Sep 20, 2008
Hey all,

I've never raced, but I've ridden a bunch of track days on my VTR250. It's not what I thought it was though, so I'm thinking about switching sports to either MX or Enduro.

I've been researching constantly, but there seems to be A LOT more to dirt bikes than street racing and I'm overloaded. Help!

1) your physical size:
5'11" 140lbs

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
10/10

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
MX

4) Do you have any riding experience?
Two years on road, maybe 5 hours total on a 1970 honda with offroad tires. =)

5) Do you think you will race ?
Yes

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
I'll be doing as much as I can.

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
Whatever is cheapest and has the best value to get me running asap.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
I'll be buying used.

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
2k max.

10) Do you live in California?
Rhode island

11) Your age?

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
I don't know what I'm doing on a dirt bike, but I have experience with bikes in general. I want something that will challenge me and I wont grow out of in a few months.

I also need something that wont destroy my bank account too. I had it easy on my VTR at about 300-400 a month in repairs/tires and I'm looking for something that will cost me the same, but preferably much less.

Thanks in advance,
Francis

Last edited:

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
Hate to sideline your thread -but those vtrs look like a gas.

I find your budget kind of interesting....People with some knowledge will be along with some answers for you.... I just had to comment on the bike. :cool: :)

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I would recommend a 250 two stroke. Any of the major brands, pick your favorite color.

If you intend to start riding hard with intentions of racing then I would buy the latest model year that you can afford. To get within your budget you will need to look at bikes around 5 years old.

Dirt bikes are surprising durable and your monthly maintenance bills should be way under the $300 to $400 you were used. When you get to the point where you are serious about racing, however, I am sure the cost will go up as there is always something you can buy that will help make you just a lttle faster.

ROd

Top Bottom