Cheapest way to repair 05 CRF450 forks??

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
I just bought a buddies 05 CRF450R. It has a dent in the Right side Slider about 2" from the bottom (it looks like when the suspension is bottomed out, it goes all the way down to about 1.75" or less from the bottom). Meaning that when I am all the way compressed I will leak shock oil, etc...

Here are my choices (but remember I am on a tight budget):

1. The stock slider is about $225 PLUS labor

2. Buy a set of forks on **** for $150-350 (I know that you can bolt on both fork legs on my bike, if it comes off of a CR125/250 CRF250/450.....Does anyone know what years would bolt right up to my triple tree???? I am aware that the offset is 2 mm shorter on the 05 vs older years, but I doubt I could tell a difference, so does anyone know which set (years and bikes) will bolt right up??

Any other ideas?? (do aftermarket companies sell after market brand sliders for less money??)

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
Jim Havins said:
$166 thru Service Honda and you can change the easily yourself..

They aren't hard to change out??? (I have rebuilt a lot of Marzocchi MTB forks that are very similar to MX forks, but MX forks scare me because I just don't have ANY tooling to work on them).

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
for the time being, is there a way to make sure the suspension doesn't bottom out? IIRC, on MTB forks you could add a little extra oil and it would make it so you wouldn't use ALL of the travel. If I could somehow make sure it doesn't use the last 3/4" it would avoid going this far and I could ride the bike until I get the new parts installed???

Top Bottom