GWO

Jul 15, 2000
Mike Lafferty won it with a 26.
Barry Hawk got second with a 30.
Randy Hawkins had trouble and I heard the trouble was he ran out of gas, but he finished anyway with a 125.
It was a hot eighty-something degrees with high humidity and few resets and that caused you to carry points into sections. Very few C riders finished the race and only a handful finished under 100 points.

Barbarian

Nov 22, 2001
Yeah. It was really good enduro. Not nearly as muddy as last year, but damp enough to keep the dust down. There was a really good section after the 2nd gas through new pines that was really twisty without being to tight and rutted out. Then there was this strange section through a large stand of dead new pines. About 90% of the trees had been cut off 6 inches from the ground, leaving thousands of pungy-sticks to impale yourself on.
They should have had more of a reset or a longer pause before the first gas though, because even the A riders had to go about 50 mph down 10 miles of gravelroad to get back on time and have a few minutes to gas up and relax. That made for a dangerous situation.
All in all though it was a great enduro.

Unknown Ctrl

Jan 24, 2002
Yep,

I agree...back on row 76 it was murder. The conditions were great if you were probably on row 40 or better. Back o 76 the ruts got DEEP, the whoops got bigger and the roots were perfectly greased and exposed. I passed alot of guys in the 40's and 50's. I think I dropped 20 or 25 in that first test section. From the restart at 6.4 to the check right before the gas at 28.0 I had to pick my way in and out a lot of STUCK guys. When I got out to the road I was tapped ...60+ on the gravel road to get back on time...The next section betwen gas 1 and 2 did me in. Just got tired of playing hunt and peck between riders. I probably spent 30 percent of the time not on the trail. I know these guys like to put on a tough race...and they did succeed...but whatever happened to making a you think about keeping time. To me they basically ran a 3 stage fastest man dash. The further up front you were the better. It is a National Enduro. Change speeds alot, provide ample restes, forget the stinking free time and multiple restarts...in other words make people use their minds a little more. I think everyone would like to see scores truly come down to tiebreakers and catch a few guys riding hot. More Fun!!!!! That way everyone feels competitive.

Barbarian

Nov 22, 2001
They had one freaky section later in the race that was 0.2 miles long at 6mph. Ther was a check, as expected, .1 miles in the section. After that everybody on my row gassed it and we hit the next check, which was only .1 miles later, 30 seconds hot! I thought it was illegal to have checks closer than 3.0 miles but someone said it was a new AMA rule that a promoter could do that. Luckily for me, the guy goofed and wrote my minute on the score card as though I had not been early. Did I protest myself? Heck no!

Unknown Ctrl

Jan 24, 2002
Learn your rules....

the check you claimed to have burned was a known control....there are no changes to the AMA rules...you can arrive to a known control up to 15 min early ....the reason they let u pull up and mark you on your minute 30 secs ahead was that the other row had already been restarted....just like at mile 6.4..Anyone with any enduro knowledge new there was going to be a check in that 6mph section...its an old timers trick to catch early those who are not paying attention. In this case who gave a crap...most everyone had dropped 60 plus points at that time anyway. Not a smart move on the clubs part.

Unknown Ctrl

Jan 24, 2002
Yep,

that was me on the KTM 300E...my first race in 10 years and I only had about 50 miles on the bike before that. I saw you with the broken front fender....thats too bad because it looked like you were pretty well hooked up before that happened. Even though it was pretty torn up, it was more fun than I had in a long time. Had to stop and take a few breaks, but what the heck...not as spry as I was back in my 20's.

Do you plan on running any of the upcoming SETRA enduro's..

KDXfile

~SPONSOR~
Dec 6, 1999
I saw the fenderless GG also; and a lot of plastic on the trail. I was on the yellow GasGas back on row 80. I also thought the 2 back to back checks were weird; one would have worked fine there. I lost 1 point at each cause I blew by the turn-off running wide open.
It was a tough run but I had a great time and the trails were excellent. I'll be back next year.

Barbarian

Nov 22, 2001
Cycle News is really getting sorry. They still don't have the results up on there website. But they got the so called World off road championship results up right away. Who cares about some cheesy western desert/moto-x race? That site has about ten road race posts for every dirt bike post also.

scrambler220

Mar 3, 2000
Unknown, the only SETRA I've got planned is the Coal Creek race. It's only about 45 minutes up the road from me. Unfortunately I won't have the time/money to run many others this year.

Top Bottom