• Under Shirt

Votes: 83 25.7%
  • Over Shirt

Votes: 240 74.3%

• Total voters

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I think it depends to some extent on woods vs. MX use. The MX guys seem to wear them more for roost and maybe want to show their sponsors off on their jersey or something. In the woods the hard plastic ones with good shoulder protection are worth every penny if your shoulder smacks into a tree. Also easy wear a camelback over one, or even zip tie a hydration bottle to it.

Racerboy

Apr 14, 2007
I wear an over the jersey type, honestly its the only kind ive used. So I cant really say from experience but most of the lightweight foam under jersey ones I cant imagine doing much in a crash. Also I really like the shoulder protection and a place to mount my neck roll. If I was to go under the Jersey it would be a Sixsixone core saver, thor sentinel, EVS Revo 5 or TLD without the shoulder cups on cause I want some hard plastic.

heino

Nov 22, 2006
I put on an normal T-shirt first, then the protector, followed by the jersey. The reason I do this is to keep the chest protector clean, as it is hard to clean and it prevents scrathes. The T-shirts prevents chafing to your skin. :cool:

toddb3

Apr 20, 2006
I use a Revo5 under the jersey, I dont wear a t-shirt under it though. The foam is pretty soft under the hard plastic and it seems like it keeps my jersey from sticking to me when I'm sweating. The Revo 5 has hard plastic shoulder cups that I tested last weekend which they held up well. It probably doesnt protect as well as say an airframe but it covers the vital organs and it doesnt get in my way or move around.

colotowyo499

Jun 7, 2007
I like c.p. over the jersey because there is a venturi cooling effect from the holes in the plastic. A jersey over will diminish this cooling by covering the slots and cutting wind coming in. Conversely, if you dare ride in cold you can stay warmer with jersey over the protector.

Dracus124

Jun 18, 2007
Chest protectors are for pussies!!!!!!! What happened to just helmets and gloves? you should just wear a helmet, gloves, some boots, and maybe some goggles when riding with other people!! call me crazy, but i love to go 70mph off road on a big bore 2 stroke like a guppie!

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
What bout something like this? Li $140

tho_07_imp_rig_se_red.jpg

Or this? $110
tho_07_imp_rig_blk.jpg

CR Scott

Nov 10, 2005
Those Thor suits are cool looking. I've had luck with the EVS Ballistic jersey and a EVS2 free floating neck roll. The ballistic jersey holds the elbow pads in place and the neck roll gives a bit of protection for the collarbones. Jersey over that with camel back over that. the Ballistic suit is vented so it's not too hot and comes with an integrated kidney belt.

ShoujoKakumei

Sep 14, 2007
The over-the-shirt ones seem more solid.. I've never really worn either kind long enough to have a real preference since I just borrow my friends' stuff, though.

But the one time I tried one of the under-shirt ones, it was definately not made for a girl... Not comfortable... lol

joey26

Apr 16, 2002
i've been looking at the EVS and Alpinestar ballistics jerseys. They are both right around $200 and i think that the money is worth every dime of protection. The way i think of it is that if i go down on the track and it keeps me from getting bruised up and feeling better to race the next week then it was worth it.

Feb 26, 2006
I also prefer over the jersey. They are more protective and don't cause you to sweat. Plus, that hard plastic breaks branches on the way by, the soft ones still get stabbed.

ksilva

Nov 27, 2007
SpeedyManiac said:
I have an over the shirt Fox Airframe and love it. I ride in the bush and find the chest protector over the jersey protects me and my jersey from branches.

I also use the Fox Airframe, but I use it under my jersey... Rode for about 6 hours the other day and forgot that I had it on...

K.Silva

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Over the shirt. If you don't have scratches and dings in it, you are NOT riding hard enough! :boss:

cthowards

~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2006
I used a Thor chest protector until I crashed hard and hurt my shoulder, elbow, and hand. Now I wear a Thor RIG SE that goes under the shirt and has built in shoulder pads, elbow pads and the chest proctector. The thing is very comfortable and you would be shocked at how much air flows through it...I was surprised. But if you're looking for protection, this thing covers alot of your upper body and is no more uncomfortable than an external check protector in my opinion.

Top Bottom