whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I have issues with my orion 125! The chain came off,took the ignition cover and stator plate with it! Well the parts book shows an engine with the ignition cover off,seemingly I need both parts! I am trying a couple other prospects. I was offered another one for around 650,or another engine for 150. I could be the fleabay chinese parts guy!

Steve St.Laurent

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 6, 2006
Here's something that hasn't been mentioned. I was looking at all the 50cc bikes a year and a half ago for my 6 yr old daughter. When I looked at all the different bikes what I found was that the Honda CRF50 and the Yamaha PW50 basically maintained their value nearly 100%. The decision for me came down to those two. I preferred the CRF because it had the rear brake on the right foot just like the bikes she'll grow into and it had a 3 speed transmission so she could learn how to shift on it. The PW50 put the rear brake on the left hand and has only one speed. That narrowed it down to the CRF for me. Looking at used bikes they sold for $900-$1100 - and I'm talking bikes up to 8-10 years old! They had a sale at christmas time for $999 and the local dealer hadn't taken the sign off a couple bikes on their floor so they sold it to me for that price. So I got a brand new bike for $1060 OTD that she's been riding for a year and a half and the only thing I've done to it is replace the throttle cable because she crashed it into the bricks on the front of our garage, changed the oil and air filter, and adjusted the chain. She has about 30 hours on it I'd guess. It'll get handed down to my 2 year old when she's ready to ride and then I'll be able to sell it for nearly what I paid for it - in other words a free bike. I doubt you'll get the resale out of a knock off. Now if the immediate out of pocket expense is a concern then you have other considerations but for me when I saw that I could sell it for what I paid for it down the road I was sold.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
If mine turns up I have to dump more money in,I'd be tempted to slap some harley stickers on it and make a jump out of it! Wonder what the rate of decay is on chinese materials?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
It's somewhat amusing to read about all of the issues people seem to be having with both no name and some name pit bikes. It's just as amusing to read about how a Honda would be a better choice but of course it would need upgrades to be a competative pit bike racer and believe it or not most of those parts will come from China LOL! Just think if perhaps you were to source the good upgrade parts and get them installed on a good quality chassis then toss in a really good engine. Yes it no doubt would cost more than any flea market or Evilbay bike but it would also be running long after those bike were dead.

I have two bikes that have been ridden a lot for 2 years and all I've had to do it oil changes, chain adjustments and the occasional loose bolt. Then again they were significantly more than any of the low end bikes or even a stock Honda. Perhaps getting what you pay for comes in to play? :think:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Pat,I know a guy who races pitbikes,competitively. He has claimed to be over 10,000 dollars invested! Straight out of the chinese ship I would not recommend putting it on a track! My 3 minute gp track with one jump proved fatal. Chain and sprocket upgrade,and a decent guard are in order,the tally is started. Swapping out oem parts when applicable and knowing a machinist or two will pay off. My intention was to use it instead of walking,at the track. Fools with to much money has turned it into something else! Well with kids and a little persuasion I may venture down this path,with reservations!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Just like with big boy racing the speed at which you wish to travel and for how long is directly connected to somebodies bank account. Straight off the boat and to the track is how several bikes at Dirt Week were run all week and ending with a race. Could they compete with a $10,000 bike? Maybe but I would expect it. I think if more people realized there are limits but also that you generally get what you pay for we'd all be a lot happier.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Absolutely! And my reservation is the pitbike name! These vehicles in the beginning were intended for a purpose,albeit safer than what I have seen with utility vehicles! People laugh at racing lawnmowers and racing beds! Oh yes,its the racing thing! Now where did I put that stupid money tree????

Steve St.Laurent

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 6, 2006
It seems some of you guys didn't read the original post. He's looking for a first bike for a SIX year old. He didn't say anything about racing. He doesn't know for sure that his son will like riding yet. That's why I suggested what I did because I was in his shoes a year and a half ago. If my daughter didn't like riding then I would have turned around and sold that CRF50 for very close to what I paid for it - there is a good market for used ones. A year and a half later she's still riding the same bike and having a blast. We went trail riding on friday as a matter of fact. I had her sit on a CRF70 just to see how she'd fit on it and it's still way too big for her. The CRF50 will be perfect for at least another year. I love it when someone asks about an entry level bike for their 6 year old and then gets advice about pit bikes ridden by adults.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Steve that is very good,original poster has not stopped by for a while,this is called thread jacking! Pat,I just got salvation from some company named killermotorsports.com,complete assembly under 40 dollars!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
LOL! Threads staying on topic are much more rare than those that spin off in other directions. It's part of the building of the discussion.

Jul 3, 2006
Yea I suppose the only reason mine keeps breaking is because I jump a lil 4 foot freestyle ramp with it... I will say that even if it does break, 300 bucks isnt too bad just to have something to screw around on...

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
morbidphil0622 said:
Yea I suppose the only reason mine keeps breaking is because I jump a lil 4 foot freestyle ramp with it... I will say that even if it does break, 300 bucks isnt too bad just to have something to screw around on...
The only reason yours keeps breaking? You get what you pay for and $300 doesn't get much.

Sep 1, 2007
I would go with a Thumpstar if you want a chinese knock off.

Yeah, they're chinese but the engine is japanese and they're of top-quality chinese-made bikes (if there is such a thing). I had a Thumpstar and it was fun. Not to powerful either.

JBOYZ

Nov 9, 2006
We deal with the "chinese" knock-offs.... You definitely can not LUMP all of the china products together. There is some real JUNK coming out of china & on the other hand - there are several chinese companies producing some really good quality units. We have been at this chinese retail business for almost 3 years & have learned a few hard lessons with the chinese brands. The brands we deal with, there is NO problems when it comes to parts & hop-ups.... One chinese brand in particular....AC nerf bars & bumpers, FMF or 2 brothers exhaust systems, Fox shocks, big bore kits.... This has to be a quality chinese product for these companies to be jumping aboard and producing their products for them....

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Does your bike look like this? I mean REALLY look like this. Not sure it has two wheels and a seat, look at the details, look at the finish of the parts. There is a big difference people and once you get to this level you'll see a lot of the componants are shared and then all you are buying is parts support (or not in most cases) and advertising.
http://pitvipermx.com/pv_large.html

Top Bottom