LostBoyScout

Nov 23, 2004
My roomate just bought a '92 KX125 (first bike). The problem is that when you pull the choke up (on) it goes right back down, actually with some force, as if a spring is pulling it back down. We haven't had the carb apart yet, just wondering if anyone had any ideas... Thanks.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
My 01 KTM is the same way. I've had it apart and looked at it before while cleaning the carb, but didn't see anything that looked like was wrong. My bike was uncrated, suspension sent off and had some minor carb mods done to it before it was ever started. It was setup for one of Munn's pro riders that only raced it once before leaving the team then I bought it. I don't know exactly what all they did but he told me they "fix" the carbs so the choke won't stay on. I almost never have to use the choke anyway but when I do, I just hold it up & it fires right up. I don't think you really need the choke to stay on anyway on a 2-stroke.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
My KDX was the same, either hold it while you kick, you can drop it after a few seconds, or put a clothes peg on it & store it on a cable when not in use.

rikhek

Nov 3, 2004
Not sure if the carbs are similar but my boys 97 CR80 had the same problem. On his when you pull the choke up there are plastic "fingers" which engage a machined groove on the choke rod and hold it up. These fingers are behind the rods rubber dust cover. His were worn and too weak to hold the rod up. You could feel them engage but not enough strength to hold it up. I solved the problem with a small zip tie around the dust cover pulled tight which in turn tightens up the fingers. Has worked for over a year with no problems.

Rick

Top Bottom