adb

Jun 14, 2008
Hi guys....... first poste here..... love the forums. Got heaps of good advice from other posts/threads etc.

My drama... Recently on a ride my clutch just stopped working... the guys i was riding with tipped the bike on its side in the track and opened up the clutch cover. the pin that sits into the top of the basket was stuck/jammed. They fixed it up and put it back together and i continued riding...sweet. Anways i was a little concerned when i got home, there was a lot of shavings in the oil. Drained it and refill... still more shavings :whoa:

Anyways, pulled it apart yesterday. OMG..... big dramas.... there was a foreign part sitting under the clutch basket... I have got no idea where it is from.... i have checked schematics and everything.... no idea.... all the gears look fine... everything looks reasonably ok... the shavings were from the edge of the basket where the foreignpart has rubbed.

In the photo the top arrow points to a "hole", could someone tell me what that does? Should it have something in it? i'll post more pictures, including the foreign part.....

Attachments

• Transmisson.jpg
    Transmisson.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 217

adb

Jun 14, 2008
cant seem to put more pictures up........ am exceeding limit...... any ideas? i have two pictures to go up.... the basket and the "foreign part".

SilvrSRT10

Aug 11, 2008
Check your KIPS rod on the right side of the engine. I've read that the actuator rod can break and fall off in that area. Pull the three screws holding the KIPS cover on the right side and see if you can gently rotate the rod. If you can then the actuator may have broken. If it feels solid then keep looking.

It's part #13236 on this schematic. Good luck.
http://www.motosport.com/offroad/oe...ype=DIRT&model=KDX200&year=1997&groupId=20746

adb

Jun 14, 2008
checked the kips, the rod seems sturdy, that part #13236, where does it go? beacuse the little rod at the end looks exatcly like the piece found in the bottom of the transmision!!

adb

Jun 14, 2008
SILvrSRT10, mate you are an absolute legend!!! i have asked so many friends, we were all sratching our heads..... YOU GOT IT!!!! sensational............ I bought the bike recently and did a Top End on it, the KIPS rod was like that when i got it!!! I thought that it spun freely when the bike wasn't running!!!! Now i just have to order the part! thanks mate!

SilvrSRT10

Aug 11, 2008
Glad I could help. Sometimes those long distance diagnoses can be tricky. Just got lucky on this one. Glad it was nothing too serious. You'll be good as new in no time. :cool:

Last edited:
Top Bottom