JohnnyMac

Jun 18, 2000
Just finished changing the oil in my forks and thought maybe I would do the clutch as well.

I used the Honda "5 weight" fork oil. I have some oil left, is this acceptable to use as clutch fluid? This is for a 2001 KTM.

Warren Lange

Oct 28, 2000
No use Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W40. I use it in my Bandit 1200 and the KX250 trans. No problems exist. It's cost about $5.00 a gal. at Farm& Fleet. This oil is used in heavy truck and diesel off road applications. If you know how diesel truck and off road machinery maintenance goes, this is made for abuse. Delvac also has high level of detergents in the oil to keep the engine mud down to a minimum because it is designed to keep soot levels down in Diesel engines. It’s also is used in some transmission applications. So it satisfies many requirements. I know many people that use it with excellent results. I typically change the dirt bike oil every two rides. It's cheap insurance. Don't let all this oil hype get to you. It's all simple if you follow this.

MotoEnduro

~SPONSOR~
Mar 11, 2001
JohnnyMac,
If you're talking about changing the hydraulic clutch fluid, yes I've heard fork oil is ok to use. KTM's come filled with mineral oil, its about 7 wt, so the 5 wt fork oil may ease the clutch pull a bit. Just don't use brake fluid!

DanS

Sponsoring Member
Dec 6, 2000
I use 5wt fork fluid for the clutch on my 300exc. It works good and I've always got some on hand. I now a number of guys and gals who use it in their pumpkins and they like it. Some even use 2.5wt. They say it lightens it a little more.

scott_ktm

Feb 13, 2001
I use 5wt fork fluid for the clutch on my 300exc. It works good and I've always got some on hand. I now a number of guys and gals who use it in their pumpkins and they like it. Some even use 2.5wt. They say it lightens it a little more.

Ditto

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
Enduro Engineering says use ATF. I've been using hydraulic fluid, works fine. Suspect fork oil would be ok. The guys at EE are pretty sharp, I went out and bought a quart of Mobil 1 ATF.....

Top Bottom