Rm80Ripper

Mar 31, 2007
I Have a 1992 Suzuki Rm80 and when i pull in the clutch leaver it wont disengage..the clutch looks in good condition, i think its eaither the cable or the springs..mabey oil. Im using 10w 30. does someone else have this problem, i can get lots of pull on the clutch but wont disengage.

i start it up on a stand and when i pull in the clutch when its in gear is wont go in neutral...

the cabel is frayed a bit and fairly old. Some people say it could be the springs, i heard a way to get more force from the springs is to put a washer in between that and the bolt.

Any suggestions Urgent please!!! :pissed: :( :|

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
sounds like you need a new cable regaurdless!!
dennis kirk can get one- prolly 10 bucks-
take the cable off and try it with the lever-on the motor
if the basket is worne it might have grooves in the tabs- they can be filed smooth
again if not toooo deep,then the clutch plates will slip in and out like there suppose to

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
The springs engage the clutch, not disengage. Is the clutch disengaging at all or does it just drag? A notched clutch basket may cause it to not disengage. Warped plates will make it drag a lot and feel like it's still engaged. Is the pushrod assembled correctly?

Rm80Ripper

Mar 31, 2007
I got that problem fixed now, on a stand the clutch doesnt put the bike outta gear, but on ground it works fine! but no i got another problem, there is no power to the rear wheel, it just crawls slowly wile revving really really high. and its not getting that much power in any other gear, it kicks in after a wile, but at the begining of a new gear it just crwals, no power...help please, i think i need a new clutch springs and plates

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
Rm80Ripper said:
...the clutch looks in good condition, i think its eaither the cable or the springs..mabey oil. Im using 10w 30...the cabel is frayed a bit and fairly old. Some people say it could be the springs, i heard a way to get more force from the springs is to put a washer in between that and the bolt.

You say your clutch "looks good", have you measured the friction plates? Replace your clutch cable, a frayed cable is dangerous. As said before, increasing the spring pressure has nothing to do with disengaging your clutch.

Rm80Ripper said:
i got another problem, there is no power to the rear wheel, it just crawls slowly wile revving really really high. and its not getting that much power in any other gear, it kicks in after a wile, but at the begining of a new gear it just crwals, no power...help please, i think i need a new clutch springs and plates

I sounds like you have adjusted your clutch too tight. There should be some slack in your lever, about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch at the end of the lever. This is called "freeplay".

It's time to purchase a clutch kit; friction plates, driven plates and springs. As said before, check your clutch basket for notching. If it's notched you need a new basket too.

Do it right the first time or you will be fixing it again.

Good luck, Steve.

Rm80Ripper

Mar 31, 2007
thanks a lot, i had bought a new bigger sprocket (50 teeth instead of 48)too i forgot to say but it wasnt because of that for sure why it was redlining and having no power to the wheel. i just remembered to i was screwing with the cabel adjustment, and i guess i didnt loosen it back off, thanks a lot. I took my clutch apart last week but i hadnt known about the ridges/grooves, i have to do that again this weekend to repalce my oil ( drain cap snapped off ) , and i will check for ridges... i have specail oil being ordered right now for my bike so next week i should be rippin and fidlin with it again.THX

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
That's fine for the wheel to turn with the bike in gear and the clutch in while on the stand. It may even turn a little with the bike in neutral while on the stand. As long as the bike doesn't roll forward on you while in gear with the clutch in, you're ok.

Rm80Ripper

Mar 31, 2007
thx alot, i got my bike fixed an i went rippin in the fresh snow today, powerband the whole time wheelieing up hills in a foot of snow. my last bike was a 4 stroke, is it noraml for a 2 stroke to die out will idleing or after letting off the gas for a wile?i have to adjust the carb abit cuz its boggin to when i first put it into first.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
You can set them up to idle for a long time, but I prefer that mine idle only for a few seconds. If you set a 2-stroke up so it idles, they will buck going into turns as the engine fires periodically. Setting them up to idle also makes them slightly more prone to fouling plugs.

Before putting the bike in gear, give it a quick rev with the clutch in and then drop it in, this will prevent it from stalling.

Rm80Ripper

Mar 31, 2007
f**k, just broke my bike again in the snow today, broke cheap aluminum clutch leaver in half and broke off rear fender. and blew out new chain and twisted the tire up once after i fixed the clutch....

Top Bottom