Con rod big end side play..... Too Tight ?

egmike

Apr 20, 2006
I picked up a lightly used spare crank which is in great shape. It has no up and down play at all, and the side play I think is kinda tight. I measured it at 0.013 and the new service spec is 0.020 - 0.030 for 92-01 Cr's and the service limit is 0.040 . The crank is not new but looks like a new rod was pressed on at some point. Should I be concerned about this or should I take it to get checked out for when I go to use it ?
My current crank side play measured out @ 0.029 which is still within spec.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
I like to go to the maximum clearance. One of the ways the oil gets into the bottom end bearing is through the sides of the rod and shims. If there is not enough clearance it will starve the bottom end bearing of oil. This is especially true of smaller cc MX bikes that are ridden to the max.

Just my $ .02

rpm12505

~SPONSOR~
Sep 25, 2005
Personally I would have it checked and/or corrected but I tend to be timid about critical dimensions. You might want to check overall with of the crank and runout. If they botched one they may have botched the others.
You could try calling Hot Rod Cranks to see if they would let that spec go. Good Luck.

egmike

Apr 20, 2006
Yeah I was thinking about taking it in and get a price quote to correct it, I bought it as a spare so I dont need it right away or anything. If the quote is out to lunch it might be cheaper to buy a new one cause they are relatively cheap.

The funny thing is, is that there is some wear marks on the thrust washers so it has been ran before and there is no discoloration on it. Perhaps it was removed incorrectly and that screwed up the clearances.

Top Bottom