Considering a drz-400e for h.s. and trail riding..

leeinmemphis

Oct 19, 2000
Hey guys,

In the last year and a half I have had a yamaha wr400, ktm400exc, kawasaki kdx220, and a husky wr360. For one reason or another I didn't 100% agree with the bike. Out of all the ones I've had I probably enjoyed the wr the most but starting that bike was impossible! Now I am without a bike and am looking into my options. I have been looking at the drz and was wanting to get a few peoples impressions. I am an average "C" class rider and ride some fairly technical and tight trails. I am 29 y/o 6' tall and weight about 220 with gear. I have not been riding in much in the last year or so but am thinking that next year I'm going to try to race quite a bit. I am considering the drz, ktm520exc, ktm300exc, and maybe buying a japanese 250 mx'er and converting it for woods riding.

It seems everyone is pretty happy with their drz's. I am curious if there are any reliability issues that need to be addressed? Once the pipe and air box mod is done does the motor run comparably to a modified wr400 with a pipe and silencer?

I am also curious as to how well this bike turns? For some reason the 400exc didn't turn as well as I would have liked. Does this bike have pretty good trail turning characteristics? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-lee-

Battered Sav

~SPONSOR~
Nov 16, 2000
G'day Lee, try doing a search with drz as the topic, I'm sure you'll find heaps of posts, and some of them might partly answer your questions.
I've had my DRz for about a year now, de-restricted, yoshi pipe, and the suspension tweaked, I like the bike very much. Having said that, I haven't ridden a yz/wr or a katoom, so cant comment on comparisons.
I can compare it to my old (96) RM, the DR's a much nicer "trail" bike, and I seem to be a lot faster and smoother on the DR. I should add that I am a wannabe "D" grade rider, and the bike is more than up to the task.
Like you, I am also thinking of racing a bit next year, my club usually runs H.S. type events, and I'm really keen to see how I go compared to when I raced the RM.
In regard to the starting, hot,cold,dropped or covered in mud, just hit that button and away you go, works a treat.
It might pay to try and tee up a test ride, models a bit old so it may be hard finding a demo, or maybe a fellow drn'er ( who lives a bit closer to you than I do ) might be able to help you out.
Whatever the outcome, best of luck with the racing.
Peter.

rgnzmn

Dec 10, 2001
I am a beginner rider and have had my drz400e only for a couple of months now.But I will tell you what I think.First I would say of all the bikes you listed
the drz is the most comfortable on the tight trails, in my opinion.The suspension is soft but plush.It has good bottom end lots of power.
The electric start is real nice.It does feel heavy to pick up but you dont
feel the weight when riding.Im 6'2" and the handle bars feel low(goin get new
ones next year).Overall I think it is a really forgiving bike and I like it.

mgorman

May 8, 2000
What didn't you like about the other bikes? I am always on and off different bikes and some happen to be close to what you had. A KTM300mxc, 250WR Husky a DRZ400 and a few jap bike 250's. I flat out hated the japs for woods riding.

The DR has a very smooth motor the gets you going fast with out realizing it. RGNZMN pretty much summed it up. The bars are way too low like mentioned and Slammer had to put spacers under his clamps to get them in a nice position. Of all the bikes I rode, the DRZ felt the heaviest but was the easiest to ride. If you put heavier springs on it like Slammer did, you might want to consider revalvin because his rebound dampers are maxed out and could use some more. At 220 (same as me, you might not need heavier springs but might want to do something about the dive in the front forks by adding oil or a revalve. I thought the DR motor was a lot like the KTM 400 that I rode but it had been a while between rides so it might be irrellevent.

I raced the bike once and won on it stone stock with heavier springs. If I owned the bike I'd revalve and leave the pipe alone. I love peace and quiet.

I'd try to find one you can ride before you fork the cash. It looks like you have been very unhappy with the last few choices.

good luck

RippinXR

Nov 9, 1999
How much time did you spend on those bikes in the last year and a half? By your your own post you admit to not riding much in the last year.

Please don't take this the wrong way but a C rider evaluating non-beginner bikes (except for the kdx) with limited use doesn't seem like a good evaluation. I'd also add that being a C rider, power shouldn't be a big concern as all the thumpers you mentioned have more power than a lot of riders can use. Handling should be at the top of your list.

The DRZ is heavier than all the bikes you listed, has softer suspension, and has had some durability problems in regard to crash damage. As with all things the durability is a bit blown out of proportion out here on the internet but something to think about if you ride a lot of rocky terrain. I've only ridden one once and hated the riding position and soft suspension and wanted off it quickly. Both things are fixable.

don

leeinmemphis

Oct 19, 2000
Rippin,

I have been riding for over 10 years. It is just the bikes I have purchased in the past I have not been very pleased with.

KDX didn't have the power nor the suspension for me to go fast through the woods. Sure I could have spent a thousand on pipe and motor work to get the motor ok. and I could have spent 1500 on the suspension but this would have killed it on resale value. I would have been way upside down.

wr400: Great motor and probably the bike I was fastest on. I had trouble getting it to start on the line. Out of 10 races I probably only had it to crank 5 times on the line. Don't get me wrong the starting wasn't awful but in a timely manner was kinda bad. Plus if you let it fall over it took probably 30 or more seconds to get it to crank.

husky360: Great motor and Pretty good suspension. Vibrated awfully bad. Seat was hard enough to castrate anyone that rode it! Lack of part availability and jetting problems caused me to get rid of this one.

ktm400exc: Parts prices were pretty tough, bike didn't turn as well as I would have liked. Bike was light and nimble but just didn't do too much for me. There was something about it that didn't agree with me. Plus out of the 5 or 6 people around here I know that have them they have had tons of starter switch problems, leaking radiators, and all kinds of minor miscellaneous problems. Plus everyone around here is riding pumpkins. I always liked being a little different. :)

As with any bike you buy to race I know that I'll have to do the normal pipe/header/airbox mods. Revalve the suspension and install springs for my height/weight. Install taller bars and steering dampner, skid plate, etc. etc. etc. I don't mind spending the money as long as I get something that'll hold up and ride well. I'm going to go to the dealer today and look one over. I haven't ridden one but have seen them on the trails and everyone that has one seems to be happy with his/her purchase.

-lee-

borsy

May 17, 2000
I've had my DRZ400 since 2000 and have logged on about 1500 miles
from enduros to MotoX, and once you add a performance/pipe, open the
air box and rejet. it has great overall powerand is very dependable.
I have the kick version and it aleays fires on the 2-3 kick, I weigh 190
and have the suspension dialed up for my type of riding, I did add
more fork oil, and it is fine for harescrambles and enduros, but could
use heavier springs and a revalve if I raced more motoX. overall it's
a great all purpose bike that can do alot of things well. It could use
better bars, and alittle stiffer suspension for heavier riders.

mgorman

May 8, 2000
After re-reading all the posts after mine I have to agree with every one. Especially the remarks about power and handling. Too much power is a waste of energy and a poorly suspended bike will wear you out also. If you didn't like the KTM, you probably won't like the DRZ. Both bikes when I rode them liked to be steared from the rear to help them in the realy tight stuff and the DRZ feels alot and is alot heavier.

Excelent trail bike and competent racer. I am glad someone else agrees on the fork oil level.

Have you ever ridden a properly set up XR250 or 400? Nothing turns faster and nothing is more reliable. The 400 should come with a trailer hitch, it's a chugger and stump puller compared to the other 400's.

Of all the bikes I've ridden I have been the fastest in Ohio's wwods on XR's. I have had both the 250 and 400.

Husky has a new thumper out that is supposed to hadle better than any previous husky. That is where my money just went.

moto614

Nov 7, 2001
leeinmemphis,

i also thought about the drz when it came time to buy, i don't race much anymore but i trail ride pretty hard, i chose the yz426 and have been happy with it so far,i do have to say the first 3-4 rides were hell (stalling, starting)i'm not new to four strokes and have had dr's,xr's even had a husky 510,but the yz took some getting used to, i think lack of flywheel weight was the culprit hence my 12oz ty davis weight.the drz seems to be a pretty good machine but as mgorman said HEAVY although my yz is not the lightest 4-stoke out there it just fits me,plenty of power, suspension works well with a little tweaking and now i can start it 1-2 kicks consistantly,although the happy button would be nice but not worth the weight.mgorman speaks well of the xr250, i had a 95 xr250 good motor but (to me ) cramped chassis(6'2" 220lbs) the xr400 just seemed heavy. take a look at what your needs are and go from there.some bike are just not for everybody. except mgorman he rages on about any bike that happens to be under him at the time.

good luck
JEFF

leeinmemphis

Oct 19, 2000
Thanks moto.

I too liked the wr400 but for hare scrambles the dead start races left me in the back of the pack and made me try to make up time simply because it wouldn't crank consistently on the line. I didn't have a problem with the weight. I was probably the fastest on that bike. Also with a pipe on that bike it was soooooo loud and now our club does sound testing and if it is too loud they won't let you ride(if it's a play day) or race. If they would put an electric start on the wr426 I think that would be my choice. For now it looks like my choices are ktm400exc/520exc, husky450(which I am not really interested in buying a first year production year bike), and the drz400e. I went and saw the drz today at lunch and am going to think about it for a while before I make up my mind. If I were to buy one right now I'ld buy the drz and spend some money to get it ready for trails/racing. Thanks again guys.

-lee-

kirby

Nov 19, 1999
Lee,
I have a 2001 DRZ400e that is set up for hare scrambles and trail riding.
It has about every possible part you could put a DRZ. It has at least $2000 worth of aftermarket parts on it. I am thinking about selling it if you are intrested. I will sell it for a fair price, just let me know. It is in great shape and needs nothing. Also I am in Knoxville Tn.

Drew Kirby

DRZ DOG 321

Dec 15, 2001
Lee,
I have been rippin' up the Mississippi Gulf Coast on a 2000 DRZ400 e for over a year now. Besides a couple of "boil overs" during the 100+ summer temps (combined with some VERY tight trails and low speeds), I have been very happy with the Suzuki. Good maintainence (frequent oil and filter changes) and a clean air filter is about all that she requires. As someone else mentioned, the reliability issues are normally blown out of proportion. It seems as though a certain % of bikes (any make or model) will have problems. As should be expected. If you think about the thrashing that an off road machine goes through in a year, it is amazing that more of them don't die out in the woods.

I am relatively small (compared to most of the thumper riders that I know) 5'8" and 165 lbs. For the majority of riding that we do here in Mississippi, the DRZ has MORE than enough power for me in its stock form. It IS heavier than the KTM and the YZ, but once you get her kickin' down the trail, the weight dissappears. The electric start is worth its weight in GOLD. Let me say that again, the electric start is worth its weight in GOLD! The stock motor pulls well from the bottom on up to the rev-limiter, where she signs off quickly. Unless you are an "A" class rider, I doubt that the motor will disappoint you. The suspension is just right for me, much plusher than my Honda XR's from the past, but yet only bottoms out when I have done something that I should not be doing on a woods bike. Adding a little oil to the forks helped cure that for me. The YZF out performs the DRZ in the suspension catagory, but you have to be a real man to ride a 426 fast in the woods for longer than two minutes. Turning on the DRZ is good, maybe excellent. The DRZ turns much quicker than any Honda XR that I have ever had or ridden. In fact, when you are cutting through the tight trails, you will almost feel like you are riding an RM. The Suzuki has very little engine braking (unless you ride it like a dog), so you can actually ride it like a 2 "smoke". I feel comfortable either railing the outside line through a berm, or squaring off the turn (you can even brake slide it like a 2 stroke). The speed is "sneaky" fast. The bike is so quiet, and smooth, that it will often get you going faster than you want. The front brakes are excellent, the rear is marginal (mine had air in the brake line from the factory, and I have never been able to get it feeling quite right). The graphics are trash after a couple of rides, but thats what keeps the aftermarket companies alive.

If you can't tell, I have a pretty good relationship going with my DRZ. I'm not sure if it is the bike for you, but I do KNOW that all my riding buddies that have riden mine are looking for DRZ's of their own.

Good Luck

leeinmemphis

Oct 19, 2000
Thanks Drz....

Sounds like you are real happy with your purchase. I am thrown between a couple of bikes and cannot make up my mind on which one yet. I like the ergo's of the dr. plus the electric start; but I like the snap of a 2-stroke; ktm's seems to have more than their fair share of reliability issues(i've heard of clutch, cam bearing, and water pump problems quite often). So I have pretty much decided that I won't have another ktm for a while. I am also considering buying a yz250 mx bike and puttiing a flywheel weight and larger tank on it. In the end though I think I'll probably end up with the dr. I'm going to think about it for a while because I want to make sure that this one will be the one I'll hang on to for at least a while. It gets awful expensive getting a new bike and having to put all the accessories on them to make it the way you
want :scream:

KTM CHRIS

~SPONSOR~
Nov 6, 2000
Lee you should talk to a guy here in MS locally. He is a A rider on a 520 KTM. He has had almost no problems with his. I think the reliability issues on the KTM are blown out of proportion. You may also want to wait on the Husqvarna's to release. they are supposed to have some really good thumpers.

RippinXR

Nov 9, 1999
Lee, your all over the place on buying a bike. Over on the ktm board your talking about a new leftover 520mxc. On this thread you've owned a wr400, kdx220, ktm400exc and husky wr360 and your considering a yz250 and modding it for trails and a DRZ. Do you really ride or just talk about dirtbikes on the internet? Just bustin on you don't get nasty now.

In terms of reliability the ktms are rock solid and are far better built than any bike out there. The only bike more reliable is the xr4 in and technology wise doesn't compare.

If you've got your mind set on the DRZ go for it. It's a good machine. Do you really have money concerns? You've owned more bikes in a year and half than I have in the last 20.

don :D

leeinmemphis

Oct 19, 2000
xr,

I don't have any money concerns but don't necessarily want to waste money on another bike I don't like. I've found a ktm leftover but jeb has told me of several improvements made this year and that's what has made me decide not to buy it. On the wr it was probably what I was fastest on but starting problems have me a little concerned going with the 250f. I've read several posts and know of someone in our club(Lawman) that had a ton of trouble with starting it. The dr is a little heavy but that may be the way I'll probably go. I am going to wait a few days until I make my decision.

JAMRACING

Apr 21, 2000
I don't know about you guys, but I have gotten the holeshot every race I raced this season on my WR426 (yes, there were e-start KTM's and DRZ's), and was never left behind on the YZ400 last season. If your Yamaha is jetted right, and you know how to kick it, you WILL holeshot!
Personally, I wouldn't give up my WR for a DRZ, only because I don't miss electric start, and sure as hell don't miss the extra weight.

Tree Crippler

Jun 8, 2000
I had one day that I went from my WR400 to the DRZ400E to the WR250. The trails were very tight with a few open spots. The DRZ had a Yosh system and worked great in the tight stuff along with the WR250. You just can't beat the WR400 in the open. The DRZ had better low end than both WR's for hills and handlebar width trees.

JAMRACING

Apr 21, 2000
I don't know about the DRZ you rode, but my WR has more power than a DRZ with a pipe, no matter where in the powerband. As far as hill climbing, ditto. The only problem with the WR is that sometimes it has too much power...

KTMdude911

Dec 20, 2001
I think i you go with a thumper you should get the 520 baecause i have heard of eliability problems from the suzuki 4-strokes.If you wanted a two stroke the one of my dads friends rides a YZ250 he has set it up for woods somewhat and he loves it!The 300 would be a awesome bike in my opinion.I mean why else would that be KTMs best selling bike over the last few years.

Top Bottom