Convert Dr-z400sm To Dirt? Or Buy A Wr250r New?

Scott Cassidy

Nov 16, 2015
HI and thanks for your help in advance!

I'm looking at a used 2012 DRZ-Z400SM with 25000 street/highway kilometers on it for about $3000 Canadian in a private sale which to me seems like a really good deal. given the age and the bike looks very clean feels very solid. I think i could be able to talk the seller down a bit more too. it seems that locally other bikes in this price range are about 6-10 years older than a 2012. and i was looking at a wr250r but none used in my area and new would cost $8800 out the door with taxes.

I wouldn't be looking at this bike if it weren't seemingly such a good deal or maybe i don't realize I'm not looking at as sweet a deal as i think it is. right know i think I've got my poker face on and in position to make a good score, but is it worthwhile to buy this with the intention to convert to dirt? like 75% dirt riding.

the seller mentioned a jet kit and aftermarket exhaust, said its never been off road. and its got decals on it to kind of make it look like a street rocket. and tires look 100% street. it also seemed quite loud.. a lot louder than my old stock klr250 (only experience i have to go by). Assuming all those things would have to be replaced with more dirt oriented parts?

SO, is it worth while to convert this super moto to dirt for 75% DIRT dirt riding. I want to have the best performance i can get for off road, aggressive DOT knobbies, new rims and whatever is necessary. it muddy around here.. origially and had my eye on a brand new wr250r but maybe this particular DR-Z400SM would be a more economical choice at this time for me if converting it to dirt and if this bike is really as good a deal as i think it is.

thanks for your advice.

Top Bottom