Convincing parents to allow me to get a streetbike

Blinkme7182

Sep 30, 2000
This upcoming february, i will be turning 16, and getting my permit, and 4 months after that, my license. Anyway, I'm almost positive I'm going to sell my dirtbike, as the neighbors called the cops on us for riding like a 1/4 mile up a street to get to the trails, when we went slow, kept the engines low-revving, etc, and the fact that the DEP is crawling all over the forest, and I'm sick of fearing what's around each corner. Anyway, I want to keep my passion of motorcycling and fast acceleration/racing a live, even if I can't do it on a dirtbike. I've been lookin around at bikes, and I really like the 97 Or newer Yamaha YZF600 or Honda CBR600F4i...For under $5000...Anyway, now I have to convince my parents to let me have a bike!! I've told them that since I've been riding dirtbikes for 2 years, I've had 2 years of motorcycle experience, and that is safer than having little car-experience. I've told them that in the woods it is very dangerous, because if you hit a rock coverred in leaves at 6th gear pinned (around 65 mph,) when you land, you land on ROCKS, sharp, jagged rocks. I've used hypocricy, as my dad had a 300 cc motorcycle during highschool. What should I use next? My mom doesn't like the idea at all of a motorcycle, she thinks they are excessively dangerous, so therefore, I'd be paying for the bike myself, and the insurance, even though my sisters had to do neither when they were driving, because she doesn't want me getting a bike, and she thinks the money will set me back too far...and it probably will, but we won't let them know that..;) Anyway, are there any sights that do tests on the fast streetbikes like a YZF600? I want toknow how fast they go a) 0-60, and b) from 60 mph to 0 mph, in feet, because my paren'ts don't think they stop fast enough, and their main concern is that it's usually cars that cause the accidents with motorcycles. So, what I'm asking all of you for is help to give me the most cogent and forceful persuasions to allow me to get this bike I've been longing for...HELP ME OUT and Help me keep the passion alive!!!!
Thanks in advance,
MARC

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
I don't think it is samrt. Wait a year or two or more untill your defensive driving skills in a car are good. Teens, high powered bikes, and fresh drivers don't mix. This is coming from a 16 year old in the same situation. Wait untill you are 18.

BTW, don't bet on the 4 months thing. the DMV never schedules the tests on time. Mine was scheduled 2 months after I wated it. If you don't take drivers ed, it is 6 months.

Big Tuna

Nov 29, 2000
I remember being in your shoes at one time. Far be it from me to deter someone from getting a bike, but I strongly recommend that you get to know the roads and there rules through the windshield of a car/truck before you get on a street bike. Besides you can haul your dirt bike in the back of your truck;) All I know is that insurance costs more when your 16 for a reason. If you still decide to get a bike DEFINITELY take a safety course.

Last edited:

ButtonFly

Dec 8, 1999
What makes you think a YZF600 is even comparable to the 300cc bike your dad had. I started on a ninja 250. Great bike, and it will do everything you need it to. I am 6'3-6'4 and I fit on it fine. Think about it. If you are really riding for the feel of acceleration and riding a line, why are you riding on the street. You sound like a statistic waiting to happen. That kind of riding should happen on a track. Falling at 60 in the forrest? How often do you go 60? On the street things are moving at you. In the forrest the trees rarely move. I have had an FZR600, and a Ninja ZX-6 as well, and currently ride an 800. If you really want a bike, learn how to ride first. Street and dirt are two totally different skills. Take the MSF course. Buy a cheaper bike, and learn something before you bite it. 16, and a brand new driver on something that will 0-60 in less than four seconds... Anyway, good luck.

Blinkme7182

Sep 30, 2000
eeeekkk...

I thought I would have gotten a little bit more positive support and or feedback...I know you're right about the danger aspect...and I doubt my parents will even let me, considering I don't have much to convince them..

slacker00

Sep 27, 2001
I think it's cool you that you have a love for motorcycles. Have you really thought about why you want to sell your dirtbike? I mean.... riding on the street is a totally different thing. You are constrained by the rules of the road and all the idiots in cages that don't see you! (street bikes are invisible ya know!) Knowing how to OPERATE a motorcycle is only one of the skills you will need to be SAFE on the road. How much experience do you have even driving a car on the street?

I would suggest you keep your dirtbike and wait a bit while you get some driving experience. You can also take the MSF course ( I am not sure if you have to be over 18 or not) and gain some very IMPORTANT SKILLS for SURVIVING on the street.

Also..the bikes you mention are not beginner bikes at all. DO NOT listen to the salesmen. They just wanna sell you a bike. They would sell you a Hayabusa if you were interested in one! As a first bike I would look at something like a Ninja 500r or a Suzuki GS500. They are sporty while being more of an all-around bike. The 600's are very specific in their intended use....racing!!

Your other option is a Dual Sport bike. You can stay off-road until you take the MSF class or some other training. Then you can gradually ride more on the street as you gain more experience.

All that said, I don't think I would let my 16 year old ride on the street. I know I did not have the maturity or skills when I was 16 and I had at least 7 years dirt experience by then. I got my first street bike at 19 and I am lucky to still be here!!:eek:

I hang out on a few street bike boards and I can tell you this year alone I have seen posts about at least TEN people DYING on bikes! Not to mention many more injured. A lot of them were racing on the road and pushing too hard for conditions.

I am not trying to scare ya. Just think about it. Good Luck!!

Duneman

~SPONSOR~
Jun 16, 1999
Sorry buddy it ain't gonna happen, I bet you would be really safe rider, but when people are driving and are looking in there rear view mirror / side view mirror they are looking for a car or truck not a bike, it takes years of experience and luck along the way to be a good defensive rider. My Dad raced dirtbikes for many years as a kid and had a street bike and had many accidents along the way, you see when us dirtbike guys get a street bike it's diff from other people cause it is very hard for us to just be satisfied going down the rode doing nothing but going streight. I know I would want to be wheeling and sliding and looking for jumps. it's the dirtbike in us all. please weight untill you are atleast 30 years old. My Father always made sure i had a dirtbike growing up even though he made me pay for them. Cause of him I always had one. He always made me promise to never get a street bike, I have always wanted one. I lost my father to Cancer in 95 and just before he died he made me promise again. Now i have a son and i understand what it all means. face it we get busted up enough as it is. Get a truck it's manly and it will haul your bike around in style. i know how you feel. but please stay with a dirtbike.:)

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
I want to keep my passion of motorcycling and fast acceleration/racing a live

By saying that you want to "race" and go fast, I would not trust you too much. Learn the rules of the road. become an experienced driver, become "defensive" and then get a streetbike.
BTW, I also belive that cars cause many accidents, but inexperienced teens on an adrenalie rush don't mix.

I am getting a 50cc scooter only for neighborhodd transportation. Try that.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcfeatures/accident.html
why a link you might ask? Everyone who rides any sort of bike should take a moment to read this. You might think that since you can ride offroad that you'll be able to ride on the street, but it's not what you'd think. Streetbikes are a totally different animal from dirtbikes. You need real world driving skills before you should even attempt to swing a leg over a streetbike. Plain and simple.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Be Patient... Show you are responsible...

Marc -

First - I will admit my bias on this topic - and share where I am coming from 1) Someone absolutely addicted to anything on two wheels, street or dirt 2) have 275,000 miles and 22 years of street experience 3) 26 Years of Off Road experience 4) Have been a MSF Certified Instructor for 11 years 5)started on a very limited basis on street at age 16 in the dirt at age 12 6) I have had three on street accidents, any of which could have been fatal had i not had proper training and protective gear and 7) Father of two sons (ages 11 and 8 now) - and I fully expect they will be on the street before they are 18.

Now for some advice - on two fronts - what is realistically in my opinion what I would suggest you do and then how do you (assuming you follow my or the others on the forum advice!) then convince your parents!

1) Totally wipe out of your mind the kind of bikes you are thinking of. They are not a particularily forgiving sort of bike for a beginer. Others have suggested specific models such as EX500 etc - many great options out there - but please dont get suckered into a bike way over your head by some slimey salesman. Buy a good use, basic, not all covered in expensive plastic begineers bike. research what these bikes are... ask around... read cycle mags to learn. Make it clear to mom and dad you understand that these high peformance bikes are not for you... show them you understand what a beginers bike really is.

2) Absolutely wait until you have at least 5,000 or 10,000 miles or so of experience driving a car before you ride a bike on the street on a regular basis. Now - if you end up with say a decent dual sport, for rather limited excursions on the street - that still allows you the chance for some dirt while slowly building skills. tell mom and dad you realize you need time on the road in a car first let them see how responsible you are in a car.

3) Wipe out of your mind the go fast mentality real quick like! dont get me wrong - i certainly enjoy the sporty side of street riding - my VFR's tires are absolutely scrubbed in edge to edge - but that is done with years of experience and advanced level training. Once you do get on the street - dont get in the situation of riding in groups of other kids interested in going fast. I have seen countless cases where group rides lead to people riding way over their heads. If you want real speed on a street bike - get into some thing like Reg Pridmores CLASS, or Jason Pridmores STAR schools (many other examples out there) these get you on a track in a controlled environment. Dont think of these classes though until you have oh say... 10,000 miles or so on the street riding (which comes after that 10,000 miles in a car). I will be honest - at times i even ride somewhat "agressively" with my kids on the back of the VFR (when I say aggressively I refer to what the general public might view it as... when in fact it is likely at best a 5/10s or 6/10s pace for me - and this is not high speed blasting, it is more in the form of cornering agressively) My kids are so comfortable with this - its just a normal ride to school or what ever with Dad. (they started riding in a sidecar when they were 11 months old and 3 1/2 yrs old and have now logged around 50,000 miles) Having done so... i realize I run a huge risk of what my own kids expectations will be when they start on the street! BUT - they will absolutely be carefully supervised - aw shucks - yet another reason to have to ride my bike! will always wear proper protective gear bla bla etc etc.

3) Read absolutely ever street oriented cycle mag you can get your hands on (my favs are Motorcyclist and Rider) Memorize, read over and over the saftey articles in them. Read carefully the editorials describing the "squids" (young kids on high performance sport bikes riding way over their heads, no proper riding gear, crashing and dieing!) Read carefully when they discuss proper protective riding gear. start reciting these saftey articles in your sleep when mom and dad are listening... make it clear to them you understand the full risk associated with it all and that you know how to take steps to minimize that risk.

4) Absolutely always wear proper protective gear. - even with all my experience i wont as much as ride 2 miles to town without a full riding suit (I use an Aerostich) with protective body armor(shoulders, knees, hips, back protector) abrasion resistant material, full face helmet, boots and gloves). Live, eat breath and sleep this stuff - and please dont live eat breath and sleep the high speed stuff to early on! Start reciting to your parents the importance of all this stuff... comment negatively when you see someone in anything short of full gear. Start saving your money now to buy that protective gear - and in fact consider purchasing it in advance of owning the bike (if your parents allow) simply to demonstrate how serious you are about it. Absoltuly stay away from friends who are squids - tell them how stupid they are for not wearing the gear - and mean it! It is much "cooler" to hang out wearing full leathers - showing just how serious you are, than to hang out with your bike wearing shorts and flip flops showing how much of an idiot you are. (and showing off those nasty scars from that last accident)

5) Absolutely take an MSF class (in Michigan you can at age 15). As they provide the bikes for you - you wont need to own one - so go ahead (with mom and dads permissioin) and take one now... take another again in six months... and again - then repeat.... each time you do.. it shows mom and dad how serious you are - you learn a bit more (expect to be humbled as well... its not as easy as it looks). and here is a key point - get your Dad to take the class with you - and dont let him tell you he already knows how to ride and does not need the class- I can guarantee he does not know proper cornering, swerving and braking techniqes if he has not had formalized rider training - I have yet to have a student in my class who has had it all figured out unless they have taken the class before.

6) Now that you have gotten dad to take the class... get him to buy a street bike... pehaps with some consideration if it would be appropriate for your occasional use. then get out and hang out with dad - go for rides toghether two up - log lots of miles as a passgenger. Then.... see if he might let you ride the bike (absolutely NO passengers for you tho) in a parking lot once in a while... then after multiple classes togheter...

7) start talking about buying a bike of your own so you and your dad can ride togheter - this allows him to set the pace.. to supervise... but maybe more importantly... spend some great time with his son.

8) now you have your own bike... ride with your dad as often as you can.. ABSOLUTELY DO NOT RIDE IN GROUPS! particularily groups of younger riders... peer pressure, testosterone even gets the experienced riders in over their heads!

HAVE FUN - take it slow and easy... learn... live it breath it sleep it... be a sponge for learning... doing this will make the time until your have your bike a bit easier and make you a bit safer.

sorry i rambled so long... got up on my soapbox i guess.... but ya know... what I have described above is exactly what I hope to see happen with my kids a few years down the road! I dream of our first long distance family motorcycle trip, wife and I two up, my kids each on their own bikes... cruising through a nice section of senic twisty roads out in Colorado maybe.... but it will only happen if i feel my kids have demonstrated enough maturity and respect for the bike!

Good Luck... and what ever you do dont give up the passion.

:D

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas

LWilson250

Jan 1, 2001
Thank you KTM Mike that was VERY informative. I am in the same situation as Blinkme7182 except for the fact that my parents wont even begin to think about letting me ride here in Houston. Again, thanks.

Lee W.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Be careful, I plan on dual sporting a bike once I turn 16 and get some experience. Be careful, don't go in with the impression that you will be going fast getting adrenaline fixes and stuff, save that for elsewhere. My parents I doubt would let me get a real street bike, except for letting me dual sport an XR200R or XR250R.

LWilson250

Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by SpeedyManiac
My parents I doubt would let me get a real street bike, except for letting me dual sport an XR200R or XR250R.

I know the feeling, I am going to make my 1981 XR250R into a Super Motard bike if I can... That is if I don't sell it to my friend...

Lee Wilson

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
I am also turning 16 in a few months and I would love to have a sport bike like a GSX-R 750. But I am very doubtful I will get one just becasue I won't be able to afford it. They are also very inpractical. I will only be able to afford one vehicle and if I buy a street bike, how am I going to take carry my dirtbike around. But if you are thinking of selling our dirtbike, this may not be an issue.
I think I will wait until I am older before I start getting into street bikes.

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
Like someone mentioned earlier, check on what insurance will cost you per year:scream: I think that you will probably find out that being a 16 year old that it will be outrageous (if anyone will even give it to you). I am with the others and say wait until you have some diriving experience under your belt. At least 4 years. Trust me when I say that when on a street bike it is hard to ride sane:p Even my 93 F2 with 56k on it will scream with a little twist of the throttle. You can go out and ride the backroads and tell yourself before you leave "That I'll just take it normal". And the next thing you know each corner is coming faster, each exit a little harder on the gas. Street bikes are great, I won't lie. But even the maturest of riders lets the power get to them sometime. It really is hard to ride sane. I've had cars cut me off, pull out in front of me and every other kind of thing you can think of happen. Seen buddies hit deer, turkey, black birds, garbage people throw at them when they pass them going the opposite way (not passing or doing anything stupid, I guess they didn't like sportbikes):scream: . I hope you would wait for the bike. I've seen to many kids in my area mangle their bodies or end up in a coffin. because of lack of experience, and letting the power get to them. Don't ever listen to a saleman. They tell you want you want to hear. Not what you should know. I was at the local Honda dealer when they brought back a new F4i that they sold to a 18 year old. The kid was cruising town on a Saturday night, and picked up some girl who wanted to ride on the back of a sportbike (to go fast, of course). He was doing over 120mph down the main street of a town of over 200,000 at midnight. When a car pulled out in front of them, and hit the car on the left front panel. Wasn't a good outcome. I don't want to tell nasty stories, but there are no telling how many others like this one are out there. Every 16 year old wants one, who wouldn't. But keep the dream of having one. Take the courses you can know, and later on. Go to the local tracks and watch some road races. Mabey even buy Keith Codes videos to watch while your waiting for a bike. If you want one bad enough. Your day will come. And remember. "It''s not how fast you can go. It's how you go, fast.":confused:

Clutch

Jul 7, 1999
For you 16-year-olds wanting street bikes....if you get one, you can pretty much guarantee you will die. Why aren't y'all excited about getting a truck instead? You can't take a girl on a date on a damn street bike, you need some sort of automobile. You're lucky you even have dirt bikes at this age to begin with , and you want street bikes too? Sheeh. I had to wait until I got a truck first, and then had to save up for a dirt bike because I had nothing to haul it to begin with. I agree with the suggestion someone offered about getting a nice truck and just put the dirt bike in the back. When I was a 17 year old punk I would put the bike in the back and cruise around in my nice truck and thought I was cool. That's a lot safer than riding around on a crotch rocket. Even though I have a 4-cylinder Ranger, it's awesome to be able to pull up next to some ass in a Honda Civic with a fart can on the back, and see his girlfriend in the passenger seat looking over at me and my bike. Since I got into dirt biking, the desire to ride on the street just isn't there. I rode my friend's Nighthawk on the street one time, and it scared the hell out of me. I was so friggin paranoid I couldn't relax and have fun. I have heard the Suzuki Bandit 600 is a good all-around bike. If I move out in the country, I might consider getting a dual-sport bike or a Bandit 600. But at 20 years old, no way I can afford insurance now. Someone mentioned that you need to get 5,000 or 10,000 miles of driving under your belt before getting on a street bike...hell, I'd quadruple that figure. I've got 4 years and 50,000 miles of driving experience, which is nothing compared to what most people have, and after all the close calls I've had, that weren't even my fault...no friggin way would I want a street bike living in the suburbs. Even if I lived in the boonies, I would probably haul the bike somewhere that I knew was safe and remote before riding. People look right at you and pull out in front of you. THink about all the cell phone-related accidents. A few months after driving, I got rear-ended by a guy talking on a phone. Hardly put a dent in my tough Ford truck, but imagine if I was sitting on a bike. I thought it had a little to do with everybody driving SUV's and me driving a small truck, but I've been driving my dad's F-150 extended cab all week and people still pull out in front of you after seeing you coming at a high rate of speed, and cut you off and crap. If you still think you want to get a street bike, and your parents are dumb enough to let you, then at least be an organ donor, because you WILL die, it's just a matter of when. Some dude in a fast car revs his motor at you while you're on the bike, and you being 16, can't resist, and race him, and get over your head, and die a horrible, bloody death.

Stay the hell away from street bikes until you're like 30, like someone said, and when you live in a remote enough area to ride in. The suburbs aren't remote enough.

Clutch

Jul 7, 1999
I also wanted to make the point that in my town, I see a lot of dudes riding brand new crotch rockets in a helmet, tank top, shorts, and tennis shoes. I've only seen one dude wearing a full leather riding suit. These dudes ride crazy as hell, doing wheelies on the interstate and stuff, weaving between cars as tight as they can, or riding in a pair, and trying to out-do each other. My town isn't all that big, you see the same people quite often out on the road, and I want to make the point that I have never seen the same dude that rides in this fashion twice! What does that tell you....they're all dying or crashing and being scared straight. You see them riding a wheelie at 80 MPH one day...and never see their ass again. Wonder why...:think

Grok

Oct 14, 2001
Here's your answer:
First, take the free Pickup and insurance if that's still an option, you can impress Ma and Pa with your practical choice. Also you can get you and your buddie's bikes any where you want! (maybe somewhere less rocky!)
Then, take a motorcycle driving course asap. I know you're probably a great dirt rider, but this course will give you 3 important weapons in your quest.
1) You'll show your parents you are responsible.
2) You will pick up valuable skills for road riding.
3) You will probably get your bike licence, a break on insurance, or both. Just for successfully completing a recognized riding course.

Oh, and maybe you'll avoid any painful realworld lessons.

I know this is been touched on by KTM, but this part of his post is the most important. You will gain great credability by doing this. Your parents will find this hard to ignore.

Oh, and good luck!

CRider125

Oct 19, 2001
Well, you're gonna poop when you find out how much it costs for a 16 year old male to insure a CBR or YZF.

If you are going to do it, start small, wear all your gear and get some training.

If you are looking for a place to get wild, the street ain't it. I started on the street and only recently moved to dirt so I could have some more fun.

There aren't any 18 wheelers on any trail I've ridden on.

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
I know several people either get killed or seriously injured/paralized in street bike accidents. I agree with CRider125, there aren't many 18 wheelers out there on the dirtbike trails.

I am a dual sporter and I have even had some near miss hits even on country roads with stupid car drivers saying, I didn't see you. Yeah right.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
Originally posted by CRider125
There aren't any 18 wheelers on any trail I've ridden on.
Don't get me started on semi's, the wind off those things alone makes it seem like you're going to get bucked off your scoot :eek:
Not to mention that down here we've got a bunch of coal buckets that take their half of the road in the center.
I'm not saying that the risks outweigh the benefits (if we all worried about the dangers we'd all take up needlepoint) but you've gotta use your common sense.

Last edited:

CRider125

Oct 19, 2001
I'm not against street riding, it's just that the street can be a wicked place.

When was the last time that some old lady nearly rear ended you on your dirtbike? When was the last time you got a ticket for doing a wheelie on your dirtbike? When was the last time you had some redneck TRYING to run you down on your dirtbike?......

It doesn't happen on the dirt.

You want to race? The street isn't the place for that.

Top Bottom