wallzy

Jul 3, 2006
Hi, guys. I have a 1997 yz 250. a couple of weeks back i started smelling coolant after rides. I took my head off and found that my inner o-ring was like a inch to big. I thought this was the problem. Might have blown out. So i went to the local dealer and got a new o-ring, this one fitted nicely. I took it for a ride, and when i stoped it it still smelt strongly of burnt coolant. And if you smell the endcap the smell is stonger. this is why i thought it was burning coolant. Do i need to check if this seal has already broken and why does it blow out. I only held it on full pined for about 10 secs. why does my bike smell? :bang:

quintwatson

Jan 22, 2006
RacerX makes a good suggestion, it will help to know if coolant is still leaking somewhere. If it is not still leaking, you may have some coolant that drained into your lower end or your exhaust pipe. You can easily pull the pipe to check. I can't imagine there being much coolant in your lower end or else the bike would barely run until it dried out.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
IAssuming you check what the other two suggested, I would look at the head. The o ring cannot pop out an inch if it is assembeled correctly. If it did, the head or cylinder may be warped.

Top Bottom