Cornell Polo, I know it isn't Motorcycles, BUT

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
My oldest Step daughter starts at the No.1 position on the Cornell Womens Varsity Polo team this year. A few here met her several years ago when we did a couple of rides here at the farm and she litterally dragged a XR100 with its chain jammed about 3/4 mile thru the woods, up a hill and to the house...a few (still)here scolded me, the old man; for not being more proactive....ANY way, the articles speak for themselves.:

http://www.cornellbigred.com/news/2009/11/23/WPOLO_1123092743.aspx

http://cornellsun.com/section/sport...defeats-tough-opponents-en-route-team-victory

Last edited:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Hey Walt, that's great news for her!

BTW, I was there when she dragged that bike through the woods. I still tell people about that when they wonder if girls can ride! :) I knew then she was destine for great things!

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
(Thanks H.L. Gomer, hope your feeling better, and yes the right PT can make a huge difference in rehab.)

She still rides her motorcycles..I have an older RM250 for her but she preferes to ride that Husqvarna XC430 I used to ride when you folks were here. She commutes to Cornell year around for work & school. During the Spring, Summer, and Fall rides an old CB900C I got from a friend. Put on flat bars, a 4 into one exhaust, new tires(sportier profile), and its a commuter bike. Crazy kid.

My hunch is when college is done, she will be back in the dirt bike world.

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
That's really cool! I don't know jack about polo and what a No. 1 position or a chucker is but it's still very cool.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
Thanks,

Polo is a crazy sport. (Chukkars are "quarters" just they are call chukkars as the ref throws the ball into the line up of players to start one.) Collegiate polo is played in indoor arena's and is sort of like watching ice hockey as its done usually at a flat out sprint(gallop) from end to end and has a similar speed and flow to the game. Watching those kids in a two point stance (standing in the sturrips) with one hand on the reins & the other with their mallet, pushed each other, trying to get at the ball at 20mph, with a shoulder jammed into another rider and bouncing around on the horse is..nuts! Increadible riding skills, hand eye coordination, and ballance along with aggression is required to play at that level. I can hardly watch at times. Way tougher to watch as a parent than it was when the boys raced. Its also tough to play as the skill level is sort of like motorcoss...the difference in skill makes such a difference that a team with a few good players can just run away with a game, therefore the "blowout" scores you see from time to time. When two good teams play..its a panic. Like University of Kentucky vs. Cornell. Really scary to watch as the speed is so intense, but riviting as every play there are ragged edge riding events and play to see.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
When I was in 4-H as a kid we used to go to Cornell to watch the polo matches. I never followed it too closely but was impressed at the horsemanship skills and enjoyed the excitement of the game. The horse and rider were one--definitely something to see.

Riding her dirtbike most likely gave her an edge since she is more comfortable being on the edge. Bikes are good.

Top Bottom