CPSC bans all minis due to lead content

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
If the lead law doesn't get us, this one will.

http://www.amadistrict17.com/

This is called the Flowers bill. This nut-case wants to outlaw all use of motorcycles and atv's by anyone under the age of 16. Has nothing to do with lead. It's just because she has decided she knows more about our kids than we do. :|

If this one goes through, you won't even be able to ride your kid on the back of your licensed/legal motorcycle.

If you live anywhere near Springfield, PLEASE ATTEND THIS MEETING!

We're losing our country folks. WAKE UP! Do something before it's too late. :bang:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
They need to take the line "home of the free" out of the national anthem. We are far from free and heading further away. Hey, at least Canada is only a couple hours drive from here. If it gets much worse I'm movin'.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I am going way south, to the land of real hillbillies!(and heat)(and the other half of our economy) They voted against this lead crap in Missouri, hopefully the flowers idea will be shot down by someone with their head out of their arse? It is kinda worse than the lead bill, at least that one left some grayer area? How nice to close your only email listed on the net. What up with that? Stupid floundering flowers! I had some good recomendations about what to do/did when her daughter wanted to join cheer leading. And how after 40 years of being in this country, good bye US motocross. Maybe some of the other disciplines of off road can start later in life, but mx, done.

Micahdawg

Feb 2, 2001
I just wanted to say that while waiting for the doors to open at STL Supercross last week, there were a lot of people with clipboards passing around petitions on behalf of Congressman Tom Self who is opposed to this ban. I was more than happy to sign.

They also gave some airtime on the broadcast for Tom Self and also Malcolm Smith.

mihm82

Apr 6, 2009
wow, my buddy said about it but i didn't think it was true. lead content, last time i tried to eat my bike i broke a tooth off. lol j/k. seems hard to believe

B

biglou

Stolen from the MOStateMX board:

Congress to hold hearing on the CPSIA!
Contact your Representative to voice your opinion!

The Chairman of the Subcommittee on Commerce, Trade, and Consumer Protection of the U.S. House Committee on Energy and Commerce will hold a hearing titled, "Consumer Product Safety Commission Oversight: Current Issues and a Vision for the Future" on Thursday, September 10. This hearing will have Chairman Inez Tenenbaum of the Consumer Product Safety Commission as the only witness to discuss the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 (CPSIA).

This hearing is the first one sponsored by this Committee since the CPSIA passed 13 months ago. It is long overdue, and now is the time to voice your opinion before Congress. It is important that motorcyclists and ATV riders let Congress know that we are concerned about the lead content requirements of the CPSIA, and that we want youth-model OHVs excluded from those requirements.

We need your help to let our lawmakers know how we feel. Riders should contact their Representatives and let them know how the CPSIA has created a severe and unwarranted disruption to families who recreate together responsibly, and a deleterious effect on youth amateur racing. Since the fastest way to permanently address this issue is through legislation, urge your Representative to support H.R. 1587, introduced by Rep. Denny Rehberg, to exempt youth-sized motorcycles and ATVs from the CPSIA.

You can find contact information for your elected officials on AmericanMotorcyclist.com, click on "Rights," then "Issues & Legislation," and enter your zip code in the "Find your Officials" box. Additionally, a prewritten e-mail is available for you to send to your Representative immediately by following the "Take Action" option and entering your information.

For more ways you can help to exclude youth-model motorcycles and ATVs from the CPSIA or for more information about the issue, click here.

Please write or call your Representative today and let them know how the CPSIA has adversely affected your ability to recreate with your families and friends responsibly and to ask them to support H.R. 1587 to exclude youth-model motorcycles and ATVs from the CPSIA lead content requirements.

Link to AMA page with form for identifying and emailing your Representative: http://capwiz.com/amacycle/issues/alert/?alertid=14005481

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
Stolen from the AMA website

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com...l-terrain_vehicles_from_federal_lead_law.aspx
--------------------------------------------

All news
Bill introduced to exempt kids' dirtbikes and all-terrain vehicles from federal 'lead law'
January 25, 2011
PICKERINGTON, Ohio -- With the deadline fast approaching that would effectively ban the sale of kids' dirtbikes and all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), U.S. Rep. Denny Rehberg (R-Mont.) has introduced legislation to end the ban, the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) reports.

On Jan. 25, Rehberg introduced H.R. 412, the Kids Just Want to Ride Act, which would exempt kids' off-highway vehicles (OHVs) from the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) of 2008 that effectively bans their sale beginning May 1.

"Here again, a law meant to improve children's safety is actually being enforced in a way that puts kids in more danger than ever, while destroying jobs to boot," Rehberg said. "It's critical that we put to rest any confusion once and for all so kids can just get outside and ride.

"There's no excuse for continued bungling that only stops kids from using the very youth-sized off-road vehicles that are intended to keep them safe," Rehberg added.

"The American Motorcyclist Association has always been an excellent advocate for their members, and I'm happy to be working so closely with them again," Rehberg said.

Ed Moreland, AMA senior vice president for government relations, thanked Rehberg on behalf of the AMA and the All-Terrain Vehicle Association (ATVA), which is the AMA's sister organization.

"This is the most promising and viable legislative remedy available to permanently exclude kid-sized motorcycles and ATVs from the deleterious and unintended consequences of the CPSIA," Moreland said. "We also want to thank the many thousands of AMA and ATVA members who have answered the call from the beginning to urge their lawmakers to exempt kids' OHVs from the lead law.

"Now, we need a renewed push because time is running out," Moreland said.

The easiest way to contact federal lawmakers is through the Rights section of the AMA website at AmericanMotorcycist.com.

The CPSIA bans the making, importing, distributing or selling of any product intended for children 12 and under that contains more than a specified amount of lead in any accessible part. Aimed at children's toys, the law also ensnared kids' dirtbikes and ATVs because trace levels of lead can be found in parts such as batteries and brake calipers.

The law also requires all children's products to undergo periodic testing by independent laboratories approved by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), which is responsible for implementing out the CPSIA. On May 1, 2009, the CPSC delayed enforcement of the lead-limit portion of the law until May 1, 2011 to, among other things, give vehicle makers time to figure out ways to ensure their products comply with the law.

Even though the lead-limit portion of the law isn't being enforced, many dealers are no longer selling kid-sized OHVs and half of the major ATV manufacturers are no longer selling machines for kids because of uncertainty surrounding the CPSIA.

James Holter
-------------------------------------------------------------

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
It will not stop the ban. They are presenting a complete new bill, to exclude dirt bikes and atvs. I hope this works and its over! The rest of that ban, good luck! Some good points for real, but?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
The bill passed and youth ATV's and motorcycles will be EXEMPT from the lead law. :yeehaw: :yeehaw:

If you sent a letter, made a phone call or sent an email to help stop this, pat yourself on the back. :cool:

See, we can make a difference. :nod:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Yep, I am pretty sure this avenue is done. Now for the next world savior to help protect the children? I sure hope representative Flowers from Illinoise is out of politics!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
RM_guy said:
OB still has to sign the bill.

God only knows what that idiot will do. :think:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Well, finally some good news. Obama signed the law. First time in three years the guy actually did something right.

Thanks to all that made an effort to stop this. :cool:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom