nifty450

Nov 12, 2001
I,ve heard that by shortening the silencer on an 01 cr 125 you gain power throughout the range is this true , and if so how much do you cut off? I,m looking for more bottom end but I dont really want to give up very much overrev for it. thank you

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
I think you might just save the time and hassle if you buy a shorty silencer from FMF Or Pro-Circuit. But remember on a 125 this will make it LOUD. And I would reccomend it for track only:D

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
It takes about 5 minutes!
Cut it off the back of the silencer.
1)Take the silencer apart
2)Measure the desired length of removal on both the core and body and cut it off
3)Reassemble with new packing

Hope that helped!

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
I've done the exact same thing two weeks ago. Marcusgunby gave me the specs to help me remove just the right amount. You have to cut the oval silver canister to 180mm. The total length is 230mm so you remove 50mm. It is very easy to do since our american model doesn't have a dent for rear disc clearance; like they have in Europe. Make sure you remove the material in the rear part of the silencer, not the front. Also make sure you have the body and inner tube separated before you start sawing anything. If you are serious about doing it and want to have some more details just ask and I'll be happy to help.

nifty450

Nov 12, 2001
NO HAND

I,m serious about cutting the pipe. So i,ll drill out the rivets and take the spout out of the canister then cut the canister 50mm from the back. I,ll probably also have to cut the perferated inner pipe 50mm, Repack the silencer, rerivet or bolt the spout back on and i,m in business. Does this sound right to you? another thing did you notice any kind of performance gain? Thankyou for your responce.

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
Your a pro! I did the exact same thing and it worked perfect. I found that the end cap (spout) didn't want to come out no mather what so what I did: was to wait after the canister was sawed and the 50mm remaining had the spout attached. Then I sawed the aluminum ring that is left on the side, perpendicular to the previous cut you made, being careful not to saw a dent in the end cap. After it was done I could just open the aluminum ring and free the end cap. Another thing, You will need to reform the aluminum where the end cap sits in the canister. I used pliers with a cloth under and the finish is like new. Sand the edges smooth or else it cuts working on that!! Concerning performance... I have yet to try it. I just sent my cylinder to Eric:cool:

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
Is it worth doing this to a 98 CR125 if you didn't have the money to spend on a shorty, if so is 50mm right for the 98 aswell? Has anybody tried it and noticed any difference?

Thanks,

Top Bottom