[CR] clutch doesn't disengage when cold

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
O.K. first off, the bike may have been doing this since it was new I don't know, only have ridden it 5 times, and every time we rode, I started it in neutral, let it warm up, and then took off, and I always loaded it unloaded it in neutral just because it is easier, but the last time we unloaded it, it was in gear and when you pulled the clutch in, nothing, stayed in gear. If you start it up in neutral and then immediately engage it while it is cold it jumps forward a little but nothing out of the norm, even my Hayabusa had that little snick to it, after it warms up for a min or two you can shut it off, put it in gear pull the clutch in and it feels like it is neutral, is this normal? I have had street bikes for over 10 years and never seen anything like this. None of my friends have any valuable input, they just say it could be the nature of the beast. The clutch lever adjustment is good, I took the clutch apart and looked at it, looks new, wich it should cause it only has 8-10 easy easy hours on it, and I changed the fluid. I did notice that it took more fluid to fill than the 22 oz that the service manual says, it was more like 28 or so, but the clutch still won't disengage the transmission when the bike is cold. Works great warm, and even works immediately after you fire it up as long as it is running, but if you start it, let it run for like 10 seconds then shut it off it won't disengage the transmission, any ideas?

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Normal. The clutch drag is much higher on dirt bikes then street bikes.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Sounds normal, especially if you are running a 80w/90w gear oil in cold weather. Letting the bike idle for a few minutes just does not generate much heat in the gear oil. Switch to whatever is the lightest weight oil recommended in your owner's manual and it might get better.

Another trick that might help on the first start of the day is to put the bike in gear, pull the clutch in, and kick the bike over slowly a few times - not trying to start it, just tyring to break the clutch plates loose a little bit. Then put it in neutral and start it up. Let it warm up, then pull in the clutch and snick into gear. The bike seems to lurch less and is less likely to stall after I do it this way.

Top Bottom