DarkFox

Apr 4, 2005
I was riding the other day, after the bike had been sitting for about 3 weeks. I stepped on the brake, and it went RIGHT to the bottom without slowing down much at all, so I had to stall the bike to stop.. :coocoo: What should I do to make the brake less mushy like that? I'm sure its not safe to ride it like that ..

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
if fluid level is ok, try pushing inwards on the caliper, forcing fluid back into the reservoir. Then pump the pedal, the piston should come back out of the caliper. If it doesn't firm up, it needs bled. Break loose the bleeder on the caliper (but don't really loosen it yet, leave the wrench on it). Pump the pedal a few times, then back up, then loosen the bleeder while pushing the pedal down slowly. May want to surround the bleeder with paper towels. You should see fluid and hopefully a few air bubbles come out. Tighten the bleeder before the pedal reaches the end of its travel. Repeat a few times if needed.

My XR was just like your bike this spring. Had great brakes when I parked it for the winter! A quick bleeding and it was good to go.

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
so, how about an opposite question. i would like more progressive braking (travel?) in my crf450 brakes. they come on so abrupt that it is difficult to use them without lockup... really bad on slick hardpack clay - i know, likely all in the technique... so i have cement blocks for boots.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
try moving the master cylinder/lever left or right on the bar. this will give a different feel because the leverage varies depending on where you squeeze it.

try using more or few fingers to run the brake. I just use my pointer finger.

try using pads with a different compound

triden

May 23, 2005
you probably have air in your brake line. try flushing the fluid with dot4 and making sure the master cylinder is still in good condition

DarkFox

Apr 4, 2005
:uh: Well.. I found where the brake fluid is supposed to go..
<.<;; and of course it was very low.. so I added some more and now of course its awesome. (^. ^) thanks guys!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom