DarkFox

Apr 4, 2005
Hey guys, me again! After my lil incident on my Cr250, I did some thinking about it, and I decided that I may want to trade in the MX for a dual-sport (enduro?). I think that I was kind of stupid for buying an out and out racing bike (guy i bought it from raced it). I consider buying one because I'm now 15, and in about 5 months, I'll be 16, and soon be able to drive n such. I don't have the money for a car (yet ;) ) so i was considering trading it in for something I can enjoy on the yard and trails as well as ride on the road. Also, a 2stroke isnt too well suited to my type of tight trails.

Because it really sucks when you stall on a slant... :blah:

I was checkin out the Honda website, and saw the XR650L , I think thats a bit much CC-wise though. Anybody have any suggetions as to what would be a good Dual-Sport for me? I've got about a $1600 - $2000 budget to work with here

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Check out an XR400R with a baja designs dual sport kit. Another option is the Suzuki DRZ400S. GasGas two-strokes (EC models) are easily made street legal, and they still rock on the trails. I know you don't want another two stroke, but enduro two strokes are a lot different than motocrossers.

DarkFox

Apr 4, 2005
That sounds like a good idea, but does the GasGas brand have a good reputation for quality and reliability? I personally never heard of GasGas, (i'm not going to assume its bad or anything) so are they any good? I may keep my current bike, seeing how awesome it looks with its new parts and new, all black plastics.. :) I'll look into the GasGas soon, (at school now :( ) but i'm takin my CR250's wheels to the shop today when i leave; new tires, tubes, gonna get the spokes tightened, buy a front sprocket, and have him mount the rear sprocket on the new tires, new chain and get some new mounting bolts so my seat is actually attached... <.<;; after that, all thats left for me to do is to get that fugn dent (squash?) out of my pipe, and mount my new handlebars and I'll be good : :cool: *waits for rain to stop*

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
If you are going to trail ride in tight stuff, don't get any dual sport bigger than the DRZ-400. The XR650L is HEAVY and it is really too much weight to wrestle between trees and in and out of ditches. It really sucks when you end up with it laying on the side of a hill with the wheels above the seat. Same with the KLX650 and DR650. It's the weight that kills these bikes, they don't make a ton of power. Nothing compared to the CR250 in acceleration.

I have been thinking lately that I'd almost like to have an older XR250L or even an XL250. One of those would fit your budget if you could find one. I think Kawi makes a dual purpose 250 also. The downside is that none of these make good highway bikes.

DarkFox

Apr 4, 2005
Well, at this point I'm pretty sure that I'm turned away from getting an enduro. >:) acceleration is fun, and if none of those make good highway bikes, then I'll be content with my CR for now. :ride: It's never disappointed me at with the exception of its CRAPPY gasmileage. Lol. But I guess that comes with owning a bike like that. Tons of power = Tons of fuel... even with a ( Dented ) ( Exhaust ) it'll still stand up in the first 3 gears. :laugh: I cant wait till i get that dent fixed today... and my new tires/chain/sprocks/tiretubes/spokes :p
I guess I'll look into a used car for road transport instead....

Top Bottom