Dirty Rider

Oct 6, 2013
Hello im new to the forum so hey!

Bought my first 2 stroke last week a 2001 Cr250. And was running sweet very impressed with the power delivery. The only problem i had is that it wouldnt idle. Now the bloke i bought it off said there not kent to idle but you can turn them up if wanted.

I had a look on some forums and people are saying it fouls the plug so dont have it idleing and some are saying it should idle if its tuned right.

basically if im going down a straight pretty fast and go hard on the brakes it would conk out after couple secs, im used to 4 stroke not a problem there.

now theres an idle screw on the carb with a lock nut. I thought if i undo that nut and turn the thread in a turn it would lift the slidder/throttle up abit raising the tick over job done!!

DIDNT GO TO PLAN :,(

When undoing that lock nut with a socket set the screw in the middle came out with it i was like f..k, i had to guess where it was but i had turned it out by accident by about 3 whole turns or more.

i tried to guess where it was and start it. Started for 5 secs then died on me. Ive tried guessing and guessing for half hour trying to get it back but no luck. I was checking the plug seeing if it was dry or wet. If to wet put it in more if not pull it out a bit. Still no luck bike was just flooding.

Now before when i bought it the bike started cold first kick with choke no problem.

please help with what to do if theres a factory setting or have i fouled the plug. Stressing me right out. Made a problem and not solved one.

thanks sorry its a long one!!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Here is a good link to the tuning process of a two stroke. http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/carbtuning.html
If you don't have a owner's manual try to find one. There is alot of different things that can cause a no idle situation.
1. If the carb is flooding, check/adjust the float level.
2. Insure all of the orifaces of the carb are clean.
3. The "air screw" should be out 1.5-2.0 turns from all the way in.
Read the guide in the link and follow it making only one change at a time so you can keep track of what works and doesn't work.

Top Bottom