JORSWIFT

Aug 20, 2012
I am living in Indiana. I have a CR250R and am I looking to do a lot of trail and woods riding now. I was told to get a Steahly Flywheel Weight. Does anyone have experience with them and what I should get? Thanks.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I have. Be careful not to go too heavy. What the people at Steahly told me when I asked was that a FWW will not give bottom end when there isn't any (I had a badly ported 93 RM) but it will smooth out the power delivery as long as you do already have some bottom end powe (which your 01 CR should). They were very helpful. I would suggest calling them and asking them what weight they would suggest based on your bike, your riding style, and intended usage.

JORSWIFT

Aug 20, 2012
Just got an email back from Steahly and they said. For intermediate rides 12 oz., for casual riders 14oz. and fast aggressive riding 10 oz.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
It's a personal preference thing, but for that bike I would go with the 10 or 12.

FWIW, years ago, I got a chance to ride an '01 CR250 with a 14 oz, and you could tell the weight was heavy. My bike at the time was a '99 CRE250 with an eline lighting coil, which acts like a flywheel weight. Riding the bikes back to back, the 14 oz was slower to rev and felt less responsive. IMO a 10 or 12 would have been better.

BTW, if you are doing trail with lots of rocks and roots, you will want to get your forks revalved. I'm sure there are others, but Factory Connection does a good job with old CR forks for the woods.

CR3999

Feb 28, 2000
You might want to think about just putting in all steel plates in the clutch. That is what I do, racing harescrambles. Make sure to put in fresh fibers also. So ya get a new clutch and the weight at the same time.

Top Bottom