tsnobaddays

Feb 11, 2008
Just picked up a CR250R 2006 previous owner ran amsoil Synthetic. what would be a good syn. oil to run and at what ratio. Also what is a good oil to run in the transmission. The bike is stock if that makes a difference. Thanks for any help
:ride:

MXcruiser

Aug 19, 2009
I would not use 80w in the trans. I use a simple 10w40 oil in the gearbox remember the clutch is in there 80w is too heavy might cause dragging. As far as pre mix i have used it all and i now buy the Penzoil synthetic outboard oil at walmart (way cheaper) and works just as good. I am running 12 bikes of them 3 are 4 strokes

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
MXcruiser said:
I would not use 80w in the trans. I use a simple 10w40 oil in the gearbox remember the clutch is in there 80w is too heavy might cause dragging. As far as pre mix i have used it all and i now buy the Penzoil synthetic outboard oil at walmart (way cheaper) and works just as good. I am running 12 bikes of them 3 are 4 strokes

That's actually not true. Gear oils and motor oils are weighted differently. There's not much change in the viscosity of 90w gear oil and 10w40 motor oil.

You can use 80/90w gear oil, 10w40 that is wet clutch safe (not all car motor oils are!), or ATF type F. My suggestion would be to try a few and see which one your shifting and clutch action feel best with. As foar as the 2 stroke oil. Take your pick. I'm not really comfortable using any less than 40:1. Use 32:1 if you're the kind that wrings the motor out consistently. 50:1 and higher I just don't feel safe with....

MXcruiser

Aug 19, 2009
You are correct about the wet clutch oil. I "slipped" and did not clarify to use a 10w40 Motorcycle oil. I typically use Valvoline Motocycle oil

tsnobaddays

Feb 11, 2008
I got my service in the mail it says:
Premix HP2 or equivalant oil
Trans. oil HP2 trans oil or 4 stroke motorcycle oil 10w-30 vicosity. I have a few quarts of yamalube 10w-30 so I used that.

I did have a question on oil the air filter I coated it with PJ1 until the color was uniform. Is this enough oil, the filter instructions say not to add to much and not to little but no further instructions. I applied small amount of grease around the air box lip before installing filter as well. let me know what you think open to suggestions.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I spray them down rather heavily then squeeze to get rid of excess. Just remember not to twist or wring the filter (you'll tear it)...just squeeze. I know I put the right amount when squeezing it yields just a few drops.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
just to add to gomer post, i use liquid oil to the filter, 1 litre normally twin air brand.
simply because it´s cheaper, last longer and i find it easy and faster to coat all the filter. just remember to wear some gloves (latex is ok, nitrile better) while you are squeezing the filter or you will have a hard time washing them...

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Here's a tip, use Honda oil HP2 at 32:1 and their syn gear oil which is 80W. Been using it in my 01CR and never a problem.
Why get complicated. Oh, and try No-Toil in the air filter since it washes out in water. So simple a caveman could do it.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom