steveotimmy

Sep 22, 2009
I have cr250r 2001 I want to make a cr500af. the bike I'm getting the motor from is a 1999 cr500, just wanting to know if I can put my cr250 motor into the cr500 frame.

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
steveotimmy said:
I have cr250r 2001 I want to make a cr500af. the bike I'm getting the motor from is a 1999 cr500, just wanting to know if I can put my cr250 motor into the cr500 frame.

If you're good with metal modifications, you can do anything!

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
And since the CR500AF is a trademarked name owned by Service Honda, you will not have a CR500AF unless you buy one from them. Just sayin..

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
You will have a clobbered CR500, if you know somebody familiar with the exact metallurgy of Japanese aluminum, you will not be among the many with broken frames. Of course that depends on how exactly fast or abusive the rider is! A drop in, I doubt it, seriously. The 250 motor barely fits in its cradle, pipe and air box. But, this was some of Service Hondas first attempts, after the 125 frames. The next generation frames for sure needed the front down tubes swapped out. And do mind what Gary posted, unless you live in China, the owner Greg, does have lawyers that do feed on trademark abuse.

steveotimmy

Sep 22, 2009
IndyMX said:
And since the CR500AF is a trademarked name owned by Service Honda, you will not have a CR500AF unless you buy one from them. Just sayin..
i didnt know that they were called afc vs af i just want one. a helpful gesture goes along way

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
steveotimmy said:
Not the first time, but color me confused.

you have a 2001 cr250r
you are getting a motor from a '99 cr500
you want to put the cr250 motor into the CR500 frame?

Hopefully there is a typo there in your original post, and you mean to put the 500 engine in the 250 frame.

As to "can it be done?"; You can do anything you want with the right tools, the right skill set, and the right parts. The combination can work, but it won't work without major modifications to the frame.

What you can't do is call it a CR500AF since that is a trademarked name as Indy pointed out.

Good luck with your project.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I think, and I have no way to back up my suspicion, he wants to put the 250 in the 500 frame after putting the 500 into the 250 frame..

He'd be money ahead by just freshening up the suspension and top ends on both bikes and riding them like they are.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
steveotimmy said:
i didnt know that they were called afc vs af i just want one. a helpful gesture goes along way

AF is just short for aluminum frame. Call it a 500 AF, if you like. :cool:

Not your fault someone was pretentious enough to register an abbreviation as a trademark.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
pretentious? Not a word I would use for a business trying to protect a product they create from shade tree ass-hats trying to pass off their (sometimes) poor work as the real deal.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I'm just saying the trademarking of "AF" is a bit silly. They weren't the first to do it, and far from the last. I'm definitely a fan of service honda. Both for parts shopping, and the incredible bikes they're making available.

I sometimes forget that sarcasm doesn't go over well around here.....

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
steveotimmy said:

For a good fabricator , stuffing a CR500 engine into a CR250 frame is pretty straight forward. Getting the COG height, countershaft to swingarm pivot relationship, and general handling and balance correct is another matter entirely. The devil is very much in the details when you attempt this type of fabrication and the experience that comes from making and then resolving the initial errors doesn't come easily or quickly.

If you decide to give it a go I wish you luck. I can tell you from past experience you will learn far more than you ever imagined, which is reason enough to try it, but don't be surprised if your first attempts prove less than successful.

Chassis dynamics is as much black art as science and the mass and rotational forces that come with the CR500 have a way of turning the best laid plans into an ill-handling pile.

Good luck.

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
500 swap

another option is to just sell bolth the 250 and 500 ,and buy a new or used service honda 500,just a suggestion ,it seems to be over kill to swap 2 motors, maybe even sell the remaining parts,if you do the af500cr (no trademark ) spelled this way i believe, :cool:

Top Bottom