Fox661

Apr 22, 2008
I've got a 2005 Cr85 took it out the MX track today came home and noticed it had used about a quarter of its coolant is this normal? Help

Last edited:

jasonent0613

Apr 20, 2008
hell no that is not normal. i rekon u have blown your waterpump seals. drain the oil from the gear box and if it is all milky then replace the waterpump seals.
p.s where in Australia are u from.

Fox661

Apr 22, 2008
okay Thanks for the help will do that tomorrow and give you an update.
And im from NewZealand not Australia

Any other help would be nice too thanks

jasonent0613

Apr 20, 2008
sorry the flags look the same.
dad thinks you may have a blocked radiator or a blown head gasket.
he explained to me how a blown head gasket could effect it.
didnt understand what he meant..

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
could be head gasket... the pressure from the cylinder pumps the water out from the radiator trough the overflow tube...
if it´s a head leak the color of your coolant should be brown... you have to replace the gasket and may have to resurface the cylinder and/or head face and put a good gasket sealant in the gasket like permatex copper gasket sealant spray or pematex nº 3

could be the seal-if your oil is white is the pump seal, replace seal, oil and pump bearings...

could be overheat-do a search for threads about jetting, or low quality fuel used... is your engine stock?

i´ve seen a case where a head gasket leak do a pump seal leak so be ware and check every thing...

razorboy

Jul 12, 2005
Fox661 said:
also i do notice that i get a little coolant comming out the overflow?

You're pretty lucky that the bike has not already seized up!

A quart of coolant is quite a lot in these small cooling systems. Actually, I don't know that they hold more than a quart?

The coolant coming from the overflow may have been a result of the lower level and the bike starting to overheat?

You may have a leak somewhere? My sons KX85 had a small crack in the head next to the coolant inlet that went unnoticed for awhile. The rad could be blocked with something or else crimped off somewhere causing the flow to be decreased and that is causing the bike to overheat?

You may also have a blown headgasket as mentioned. The bike will produce white smoke when riding as it burns off the coolant getting into the cylinder (not good for the bike and it will eventually seize the topend).

You may also have a bad waterpump setup (WP gear, bearing and seal). Usually caused by small sand particles getting in there and scoring those bits up. This will allow coolant to get into your transmission. The tranny oil will look milky if this is the case. This will damage your tranny if left unchecked. Your oil level will have gone up and thinned out by the coolant.

Thats about it, it has to be one of those things as there aren't many places for the coolant to go on a 2-stroke.

Hope this helps?

Bernie

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
blown head O-RING. CR85's don't have a gasket per se...but on the right path i think.

fill the radiator to just above the fins. then start the bike. if you have bubbles in the coolant then your o-ring is smoked. you should see churning but not bubbles. the compression leaks in to the coolant when the explosion happens. when the piston is pulling down it pulls some coolant in and burns it during the burn process. you can have a slightly elevated smoke level when this happens. most don't notice.
No bubbles then maybe a weak rad cap but not very probable. wrong jetting causing overheating could cause a boil over and overheat situation also.
You should have a weep hole near the water pump that will allow water to drip out when the seal goes. its supposed to let you know the water pump is going bad before it lets water get passed in to the clutch case...but sometimes does not.

Fox661

Apr 22, 2008
I got no bubbles in the coolant and it is not brown. Tranny oil seams fine its normal. I've noticed that my head gasket is blocking the hole that sends the coolant to the top of the radiator could this be building pressure and and blowing it out the overflow? or is it blocked for a reason? And I don't know much on the jetting side of things so some help on what I could do there would be nice cheers

razorboy

Jul 12, 2005
You're going to need to confirm that the coolant loss you are suffering is a direct result of it coming out of the overflow.

Knowing where the coolant is coming from is the first step in finding the problem.

You said you had a "little" coolant coming from the overflow but could this where it is ALL coming from?

If it is all escaping from the overflow, then you have an overheating problem. If thats the case, I would say that either your waterpump is failing or else that rad is done. Even though you are seeing movement of coolant through the rad cap, it doesn't mean it is pushing as much as it should be? Check the impeller for the waterpump to see that it is not slipping on the shaft.

The headgaskets are designed to restrict some coolant movement. On my kids KX85, the word UP is cut in at one location on the gasket which is right below the coolant outlet on the head.

The coolant has a simple path:
It gets pumped by the waterpump up into the side of the cylinder
Circulates around the cylinder and head then pumps out the top of the cylinder into the radiator.
Goes down through the rad where it cools off then comes out the bottom back to the waterpump again.

Since there are only three stages of coolant flow in the system, there are very few areas where it can go?

Oh, another thought is:
Have you checked your jetting? You might want to confirm that your jetting is looking good. The electrode of the sparkplug should be a nice moca brown. If it is white and powdery looking, you are running way lean. This lean condition will also contribute to overheating and will eventually seize the topend.

Lets find out where the coolant is actually going first.

Cheers
Bernie

Fox661

Apr 22, 2008
Okay i checked today and it is all comming out the overflow. The jetting seems fine. So where should i move to next? The water pump?
Cheers for the help

razorboy

Jul 12, 2005
Seems like a good place to start.
Check your sparkplug and make sure it is not white and powdery looking. If it is, then you have a lean condition and need to research this site for procedures to set up your jetting correctly.

I would also want to be getting to that waterpump to check that the impeller is not slipping on the WP shaft. If it is, it is not going to flow the coolant efficiently.

Does the coolant change color?
Meaning that the water coming out of the overflow should be the same color as what you put in.

What is the age of the topend on your bike?

It may also come down to a crimped or blocked radiator?
Not sure what your radiator capacity is but it may be worth finding out and seeing if it actually holds that much.

Cheers
Bernie

BRRP rider

Sep 21, 2008
my 2003 cr85

My 85 was rebuilt like 2-3 months ago, and I have been losing some coolant which just started on saturday, I also noticed some loss of power. I was at my local track for practice and i was in 2nd gear going around a corner and it was just fine but come race day the same corner in 2nd gear it was over revving and i wasn't going as fast. my dad said it was the clutch, for all we know the clutch has never been replaced. we got the bike about 3 years ago. thank you for the help.

SHSPVR

Oct 24, 2006
Frist all Jasle CR80/85 have reg head gasket unless it aftermarket uselly a blueprinted head or cylinder other then that they don't come with O-Ring like KTM, Suzuki and Yamaha do.
Don't use Cometic Head gasket on stock setup they will drop your compression go for Wiseco or K&S or stock honda part uslees your head was modified to work with Cometic Head gasket.
But if want O-Ring type head take look at Phathead racing or check with Eric Gorr "Forward Motion" he may be still doing thoses kind mods on CR80/85.

Orange Yellow glaze Sound like Spark plug exposed to higher than normal temperatures possible causes:
· too low an octane fuel used
· jetting too lean or failure of the fuel system, i.e., clogged fuel line or filter, fuel tank not venting, problem with fuel pump, carburetor, air leak into crankcase
· spark plug heat range too hot
· ignition timing too far advanced, possible failure of the cdi box
· restricted exhaust system: back pressure too high
· overheated, loosely-installed spark plug
· plugs should be replaced

Just you know Honda CR80/85 Head gasket are bad about failing that why I do Lapping on head & cylinder I started with a plate of heavy glass or could some else it just need be absolutely level surface, added sandpaper, used duct tape to hold it in place, and then liberally applied a water and soap solution to keep the sandpaper from grabbing too much into the head. First, I used 320 grit wet/dry sandpaper to get a level surface, then I swapped that out for 800/1000 grit sandpaper to remove the rougher scratches created by lapping with the 320

Last edited:

BRRP rider

Sep 21, 2008
Thanks, and i am running 110 octane and we just rebuilt the bike about 2 months ago putting a new head gasket on it. I have been racing it harder though.

BRRP rider

Sep 21, 2008
I think I found out the problem, took of the cylinder head and it looked like the gasket was leaking, still replaced the clutch. didnt work the first time so we took it apart and did it again. have not tested it yet, started it but that is it

Top Bottom