Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Originally posted by qtrmiler
Strick, your welcome Interesting subject as I too had trouble deciding if I was going to buy 520exc or crf450 parts availability and ease of selling won out this time. I'd love to ride a exc though and see if I made the right choice...

qtrmiler:

Strangely enough, one of my criteria was parts availability. The KTM won out there. I could get any aftermarket part you can think of for my SX the day I bought it. Not the CRF. The Honda will have better resale by leaps and bounds! If you are riding mainly track, you bought the right bike!

CraigW

Oct 5, 2000
Rode a CRF for the first time last week. (I own a 2002 520SX)
Here are my impressions:

1) Power is very good, seems slightly stronger off the bottom than a 520.
Top end is very close, the 520 having the edge.

2) Motor is not as smooth and refined as the 520 - more vibration and noise.

3) Suspension was like a pogo stick. I did not adjust but rode it as the demo bike was set. Forks were harsh when hitting braking bumps, did not feel good.
KTM felt better(stock settings).

4) Cornered better than the 520

5) Ergonomics were terrible. Bike is low and fat. Feels like you are riding a banana with handle bars. KTM out the box suites taller riders (I am 6ft2"). My shorter friends were far more complimentary of the bike. Maybe the right handle bars will make the bike feel a lot better.

6) Starting was easy, but KTM is easier. Both are way better than a 426.

7) I feel my options are better with the KTM SX
Can fit 6 speed box, have MXC tank option, lighting coils available, can fit side stand and electric start. Sure, a lot of the above will become available for the CRF in the future, but I'm talking right now!

As much as I was hyped up about the new CRF, I dont think I am ready to give up my 520SX. Other riders may have different priorities and preferences, but for me my 2002 is still orange. I''l be waiting to check out the 2003 'blue' options .:mad:

Greg M

Jun 25, 1999
I would second the comment about the new Husky 450. $6,599 with electric start. My dealer believes that Husky will provide the kick start with that price, but you will have to install it yourself if you feel it is necessary.

Greg M

U2leight

Nov 25, 2000
Well I don't know about all the technical gear ratio mumbo jumbo going on in this post, the question was 520 or 450 for woods? Correct?
I own both an 02 520 EXC and CRF 450. Why, because I race MX and love trail riding.
The CRF is not a good trail bike if you have the option. The CRf can overheat easily in tight trails, its geared for MX, and suspended for MX. Good heavens don't forget to take 15 min and seal the airbox! (OK the loose damper rod bolts suck) It is my favorite MX bike and I will put up with any little first year quirks to ride it.
But........How can you beat a bike that is "made" to be a trail bike? KTM has it down very well on the 520.
And most importantly, while you guys were comparing gear ratios, I was hitting my electric start button and riding! :)
Does anyone know where the E-button is on the 450??:scream:

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Originally posted by U2leight

I own both an 02 520 EXC and CRF 450. Why, because I race MX and love trail riding.
Well then,...it's settled,...we all just need to buy a couple of $8000 bikes.;)

Bud-Man

Dec 5, 2000
A very good freind of mine has been trail riding his CRF with no problems. We were out playing in the mud yesterday and he never boiled it over. He's even happy with the stock gearing, which surprises me. Now we haven't been playing in the ultra tight, slow going stuff, but so far the bike is fine on the trail. He loves the power and even digs the suspension.

I have an '01 400 SX and changed the gearing to 13/52 (14/50 stock) to help pull the upper gears better and aid in tight woods negotiation. Big difference in the tight stuff, but still has a little trouble with 6th gear on uphill fire roads. One down side to this change is that the bike feels like it lost it's top end pull. Odd. Even geared down like this the top speed of the 400 is higher than the 450. When we race across some open fields, he pulls me but eventually I will overtake him. (BTW, I'm running a PC T4 silencer w/2" tip and ENM needle based jetting.) The 450 feels noticable more powerfull when in the upper gears, but in the lower ones it's pretty close. I've ridden a 520 SX but not real recently. From what I remember, it felt like an absolute beast by comparison. Tons of bottom and it carried it all the way to the top. Unfortunately, the 4 speed is a problem for me.

I think it comes down to what you want in a bike, as they are all great mounts. My freind with the 450 bought it cause he likes the way the honda feels (his last bike was a CR250) and thought the 520 was too much. Me, I think the 450 feels to big compared to the KTMs but the snappy engine is a blast. That's why I'm looking to buy a 520 and put the 6 speed in it.....get the best of both the KTM and the Hondas. I'm glad we have the choices we do in this day and age.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Bud-man; you can make your 400 a 450 for around $800 (I think). Contact Eric Gorr. That is my plan when my bike is ready for a rebuild.

Bud-Man

Dec 5, 2000
Strick,
Actually it's $475. I've been toiling over this decision for quite a while. Go with the EG 450 kit or put a 6 speed in the 520? Decision, decisions.....Both are probably the same amount of work and are similar in cost but I doubt the 450 will run like the 520. The other issue I'm concerned with is the 13.5:1 compression ratio. I like how easy it is to start the stock KTMs and I don't want to turn the bike into a YZF.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Originally posted by Strick
The ratios in terms of total reduction (ratio) are completely different throughout the range, except 5th on the CRF is nearly the same as 4th on the SX. You have to do the math to see it.

Ok I did the math, and 5th on the CR is a tad taller than 4th on the KTM, but not near as tall as 5th on the KTM. I think Honda is making a mistake with the close ratio trans on the 450. It has such a nice engine I certianly wouldn't shift that often. I would let the engine pull and clutch if I had to. Of course I ride a 125 and HAVE to clutch even when I shift. I think VOR has the right idea on the 503 MX, monster engine, 3 speed trans. Who needs to shift?

Greg in Oz

Aug 21, 2001
A bit biased here cause we race the KTM but our rider put in some laps on a 450 and his take was that the bike steered a little better but the 16mm offset clamps fixed the problem on the KTM. The honda didn't have the instant spurt off the bottom that the KTM has and wasn't as quick up top. The lack of engine braking on the Honda makes it easier for 2 stroke riders to adapt but he preferred the engine braking on the KTM. If you want an absolute rocketship, put a wiseco High Comp piston in and do some port work. The bike just flies. For loamy tracks we run the 400SX flywheel/ignition for more snap but it causes the back to break loose too easy on hardpack. We have a stupid pump gas rule here in Oz so premium unleaded is all we can use. Standard jetting works with the H/C piston and porting. ELF atmo rally oxygenated fuel works a lot better with richer jetting but we can't race with it. Shayne King (factory KTM rider) will be making 470 kits for 400s soon. That would be a woods weapon I reckon. Factory race bikes in Europe go as high as 570cc. We are getting a kit soon and I'll do a report.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
HiG4s - that is what I came up with too. If I had purchased the CRF I would probably change to front sprocket to 14 right away. Even on closed course use that 1st is gear is very low. The gearing does make that bike feel very powerful though.

Greg: My stock 400sx does not turn as well as the stock CRF. Other than that I like the 'ole pumpkin!

Also an off topic question. Does the new AMA rules state that the largest cc in the 250 class, for a 4-stroke is now 450??? There has been a lot of rumour, but does anyone know for sure. I think I will post this question in the MX forum also.

Last edited:

PWDAD

~SPONSOR~
Oct 6, 2000
Motocross 520 vs. 450 (not woods)

I was hoping to get some first hand impressions on the 520 vs 450 for motocross. I am not really a woods rider, but am very interested in one of these bikes for outdoors MX events.

I am currently riding a "98 YZF 400 and am ready for a change but love the 4-stroke.

Any and all info helps.

PWDAD

Top Bottom