rddj91tiger00

Feb 5, 2007
stock crf230f blown left fork seal. left being when your sitting on the bike right was blown under warranty and repaired with honda. but no warranty now. so im doin it myself, can i? i hve the seals and everything but how much oil and what oil? what do i need to look for? what do i need to make sure i do? what do i need to make sure i don't do? help please... hit me up at rddj91tiger00@yahoo

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Yeah, start by getting a repair manual. The aftermarket manuals, such as Clymer, are often better than the factory repair manuals because they don't refer to obscure factory tools (use Honda tool number XYZ-8762-762A-01) quite as often....

The forks are a really good place to refer to the manual before you start. There is usually a sequence that you really want to follow and if you do it wrong you can make life very difficult for yourself.

The basic steps are actually pretty easy. You start by draining the oil out, usually a small plug/screw in the bottom. To get the oil to drain out the bottom you will need to remove the cap from the top, but be sure to release any air pressure first and be prepared if there is spring pressure against the cap (think of the old snake in a can gag....).

For the next step you may need to put the cap back on in order to have the spring pressure hold the internal parts while you use an impact driver on the screw in the bottom, which may require a tool you don't have (A Yamaha YZ125 requires a 17mm hex driver for the impact, which you probably won't have either). A little ingenuity and luck can work around these problems, however.

The first two steps might be best peformed with the forks still on the bike. Once you get the screw out of the bottom then there will be a retainer (circlip or snap ring) that holds the seal in place which you will have to remove, then the forks can come part, but you may need to encourage it a little as you will need to force out the seal.

The delicate part will be getting the new seal in place without messing it up. You can buy tools from the bike shop that will help with this, essentially a collar that slips over the fork shaft that will allow you to tap the seal into place. Put the snap ring back in place, put the screw back into the bottom, reassemble the spring/spacers, refill with oil (you will need to know the proper weight of fork oil, which would be in the repair manual as well as how much oil it needs) put the cap back on put the forks back on the bike and your done.

If you know what your doing and have the proper tools it is probably an hour or two job. Being your first time plan on it taking all day. I wouldn't start without a manual to fill in the details.

Rod

Top Bottom