LWilson250

Jan 1, 2001
Whoa, is it just me or does anyone else think that the CRF250 has a very funny looking cylinder head? Thats a really interesting design, look like the spark plug goes in at an angle. Sure doesn't look like a sleeved down 450... Honda put some real thought into this bike.

Thank you Mr. Maeda for the photos, it's really awsome to have someone like you hanging around DRN.

Lee W.

B

biglou

Let the madness begin! (I like it when there's new stuff coming out, even if I'm probably not going to be buying it...)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The specs show the Honda has a bigger bore and shorter stroke than the Yamaha 250F which leads me to believe it will have more valve area than the YZ250F and subsequently peak at higher revs. Should be pretty interesting.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
So whats all the fuss about? From what i can see from this thread, the bike will be a 2004 and thus, not available for about 10 months! Correct me if i am wrong?

Didnt we know/expect this all along? I would say that if they are to be sold anytime soon (ie in the shops within a few weeks) that this is a bad move from honda since everyone will have already bought the 03 yams, kaws, ktm's and suz?

TriPower

Apr 3, 2001
This looks like the same situation as the CRF230 last year. We got a press release and pictures last year at this time, and the bike is just becoming available now. Bummer... Looks like the trusty old YZ250F will have to put up with me for another year :whiner:

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
FINALLY! No more "Has anybody heard anything about the CRF250?" or "Will the CRF250 be an '03 or '04?" threads.

:yeehaw: :) :thumb: :cool:

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
looks like my next bike :yeehaw: will be supported by Honda's 4th generation aluminum frame!! Or at least they moved the welds and seem to have a straighter side than the 02' and 03's. Whatever....I love the styling, I love that now there's something to run with the YZF's and heck...it's just an ass kicking motocrosser! :worship: (as I wipe the drool off myself ;) )

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
That's going on my Xmas list, they look sweet. Maybe get two, a CRF250R for me and a CRF250X for my dad. Now I wonder when we'll be seeing a CRF450X from Honda?

Last edited:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
From what I can tell, the X has lights.

And I'd bet dollars to donuts a 450X will show up in 04 as well!

TriPower

Apr 3, 2001
From the pictures on the Dirt Bike Mag site, you can see that both bikes also have Renthal fat bars on them. I wonder if the 2004s will use a Honda version of those bars?

High Desert XR400

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2000
Sign me up for a 450X, I can hardly wait!
Honda may be slow when it comes to releasing new models, but it looks as if they might be catching up.

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by TriPower
From the pictures on the Dirt Bike Mag site, you can see that both bikes also have Renthal fat bars on them. I wonder if the 2004s will use a Honda version of those bars?

Ernesto Fonseca has regualar old OEM bars (with a renthal pad) in the video

TTR Dave

Jun 5, 2000
Well, I walked into my Honda dealer and put a deposit on the CRF250X...
The only comment he made was Honda going to release it as a Green sticker(CA) version with a optinal hop up kit like they do for the 650XR??
Should be interesting!

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I wonder what other differences we'll see between the R and X model? All those I could see were the starter, 18" rear wheel, and slightly larger gas tank. Will the ignitions be the same? The gearing? The suspension valving? Was that a little taillight on the fender? How about dry weights on both models?

If the darn thing will start, like the 450 does, you wouldn't think the e-start would be necessary. That's just extra weight for me to pick up off the ground.

I want to ride one. I love my KTM but if the Honda is light and will start easily, I'd be tempted . . .

Racerdude

May 24, 2000
I took that Pic of the crf250, and chopped it up on my computer till it was slammed like a flattracker should be....oh man that thing looks sweet! I think my red truck pulling my red trailer with two red DTXers inside would be kinda sweet....ah...its that "force" again...it's working against me now

Humai

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by Rich Rohrich
The specs show the Honda has a bigger bore and shorter stroke than the Yamaha 250F which leads me to believe it will have more valve area than the YZ250F and subsequently peak at higher revs. Should be pretty interesting.

Hmm, I guess that means upwards of 14,000 to 14,500 rpm peak with what looks externally like a SOHC design. They must have some lightweight rocker technology in there...

I'm surprised they didn't go with DOHC and buckets/shims but I suppose weight reduction is at least as important in this class.

I can't wait to see one running.

B

biglou

I bet the "X" will be placed in direct competition with the WRF line, and therefore have a wide-ratio tranny. You can see that it has very sleek head and tail lights plus an odometer. I bet the suspension will be valved and sprung slightly softer for off-road/woods use. My guess is that Honda will diversify and be very application-specific just like the blue bikes. Should make for some very nice choices for the consumer in a year or so.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
The more I think about it, the more I like it. However I already have a woods bike--maybe the "R" version would be better, then I can have a woods and a track bike!

Top Bottom