CRF450 oil change info (just bought it, no manual)

theMotoMan

Jan 12, 2001
I just bought a CRF450 from the second owner and he never got the manual from the first owner. I'm going to get one on order from Honda, but in the mean time, I've got to change engine oil and tranny oil.

First off, I can't find the drain plug for either tranny or engine oil. Second, how much and what kind of oils do I use?

Thanks in advance!

Chris426

Nov 30, 2000
If you'd like, you can send me your email address to chrisscr_52@yahoo.com, and I'll send you some pictures of exactly where the drain plugs are located. Looking at the shifter, the engine oil drain bolt is located at the bottom of the left crankcase cover(12mm head). The transmission drain bolt sits further back to the right on the case, to the left of the serial number(12mm head also).
Currently, I've only used Honda HP4 with moly for the engine, and Honda HP4 without moly for the transmission. I've used Mobil 1 15-50 in my previous bike, and understand that it's an option for the CRF too. The capacities for both are-

Engine after draining: 660cc
Engine after draining and filter change:690cc

Transmission:590cc
*Note* Do not use check bolt. Simply fill with 590cc's of oil.

Like I wrote, send me an email, and I'll get you some pictures to help you along.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Originally posted by Chris426
Transmission:590cc
*Note* Do not use check bolt. Simply fill with 590cc's of oil.

I'm curious why you say not to use the check bolt. Does it give a false positive? I mean, does it act like its full when its not or does it only come out if you overfill?

Also 15w50 Mobil 1 is now new with an SL rating. I'm curious how it is going to work with the 450... then again, I'm gonna find out :)

Ivan

Chris426

Nov 30, 2000
Ivan-

I've taken this information from off-road.com for you to read. After reading this, and the opinions of others, and also due to the fact that the bike is a new "animal' to me, I've decided to heed this advice. Hope this helps.

Oil Capacity Bulletin

The below bulletin explains how the oil system functions, and how much oil needs to be placed in both sides of the motor (transmission and engine)

-Transmission oil level
"In addition to having separate engine oil and transmission oil cavities, the 2002 CRF450R uses new transmission oil distribution/leveling technology. In order to reduce overall drag, the CRF450R designers incorporated slightly lower oil level in the clutch cavity than in the gearbox cavity. This is a performance enhancing design, but it can create some confusion when changing and checking the transmission oil level.

There are three small oil catch basins on the clutch side of the right crankcase. These catch basins transfer oil that is slung from the primary gears into the gearbox cavity. As the engine runs and the oil level in the gearbox cavity rises, oil begins to spill back over into the clutch cavity through a transfer hold. The oil continues this circulation process, much like a pump, transferring back and forth between the two cavities.

The overall transmission oil capacity is 670cc at disassembly and 590cc at draining. Because oil is added to the transmission throuth the filler cap on the right crankcase cover (clutch cover), you will only be able to add about 400cc before oil begins to run out of the check hold. Once the engine is started and the pumping process begins, oil will transfer in to the gearbox cavity, but the overall level will now be too low.

The Owner's manual and Service Manual both state to start the engine, let it run for three minutes, shut it off, and let it sit for three minutes before checking and adding oil, but if you are unfamiliar with this technology an under-fill condition will result. the easiest and sure way to set the proper transmission oil level is to use a graduated measuring cup (ratio-rite) and add 590cc to the transmission after draining."

I always used Mobil 1 15-50 in my 426(previous formula). I haven't really looked into any opinions on the new formula, but I have read where some people are using it. Please let me know if you find any info. For the time being, I'm just going to stick to the HP4, but I am curious about the "new" Mobil1.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Thanks for the info.

I always add my oil with the bike on the triangle stand and fill per recomendation. In this case I have been filling right under 600cc's so I think I'm good.

As for Mobil 1. I saw that it exceeds SL and SJ ratings. I know the SJ rating is good but not sure on the SL. However, I didn't notice any other additives and the API label looked similar so I decided what the hell... I'll give it a try and keep Rich informed as I go so he can tell me what went wrong or right when I tear her down later.

I broke her in with Castrol GTX 10w40.

Ivan

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom