cylinder scratches???

Discussion in 'Canadian Daves JustKDX' started by owenlo, Jan 3, 2002.

1. owenlo

owenlo Rookie DRN Member

I just bought a 2002 kdx 200 and I am doing the top end inspection according to the new bike prep on JUST KDX an i noticed that everything is ok eccept 4 scratches on the cylinder wall on the exhaust port side. The scratches are from the exhaust port to the top of the cylinder they are deep enough to feel them but not incredebly deep. The bike is still under warranty if this is not sopposed to be normal I wil take the cylinder and piston to kawasaki and have them replaced. ANY SUGGESTIONS as to wether or not this is normal or not???????

Please help, Obie THANKS:)
  2. canyncarvr

canyncarvr Subscriber

WoW!

Actually doing the top end inspection according to the book??? Kudos to you!

I'd try to take it back. The dealer will tell you it's cuz of the way it was broken in, I'll bet.

CDave says (from the new bike prep info):
    If however your cylinder is damaged its time to fire up the siren and have it replaced.

I'd be raising some hell.

My .02 worth
  3. Nevada Sixx

Nevada Sixx Rookie DRN Member

if you had pulled the cylinder before you broke it in,, would there have been a way to file down the parts that scratched your piston/cylinder? I may get a new 200 soon,, and what you just said makes me nervous now. Hope not all the 200's have a faulty part that rubs scratches.
  4. owenlo

owenlo Rookie DRN Member

I would say NO

I bought a KDX because of the reliability of the bike. The bike is still under warranty and this WILL be covered. I have read of confirmed reports in the magazines of kdx with 10,000 miles on them and never a top end job. I probably just cought a couple of burrs or something, not sure yet. That is why I was asking if anyone else has seen the problem to narrow the problem down if in fact it actually is a problem. I would buy another one tomorrow.

Obie
  5. Nevada Sixx

Nevada Sixx Rookie DRN Member

i have heard the 10,000 mile story also,, i guess it can be done..
    Do you think small scratches could hurt the performance if you didnt do anything about it?