dirtbikr99

Nov 21, 2002
Im not sure if they have a special tool, however if I am correct you just put the cylinder in an oven, or other type of heat source. ( not sure of the temp guessing around 400) Let it heat up, then take it out. Then just tap the sleeve out (tap on the side of the sleeve normally closest to the cases.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
I've done several, used to be a Honda tech back prior to my current job.

I bored them out. The sleeve will collapse on it's self when it gets thin towards the end of the last cut. Once that's all done you set up an interference based the the sleeve manufactures specs. Interference is the difference between the cylinder and the sleeve. The sleeve will be bigger/fatter.

When your all set up with the proper clearance put the sleeve in the freezer for a few hours and put the cylinder in an oven or on a hot plate. After the sleeve has shrunk and the cylinder has expanded the sleeve will drop right in.

The hard part is you only have 3-5 seconds to get the sleeve lined up with the ports before things settle and get tight. If you screw up you need to start over by boring out the new sleeve and getting another one.

Once the sleeve is in you will need to bore and hone to fit a new piston and send it to a good porting guy. The sleeve will need to be port matched so the cylinder and the ports line up perfectly. He will also chamfer all the edges so the rings don't hang up.

I never tapped one out, they expand together so I doubt that will work, never seen it done that way.

I hope that helps out...

Last edited:
Top Bottom