dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Are you interested in women's opinions only?  There are plenty of male DRN'ers who have taken his classes.  In the class I took, there was one woman, but I don't know if she is on DRN. 

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I thought it was excellent.  Learned some new things, and some practice drills.  Dave was a great teacher, and so was Mike Pascarella, who helped out at my class. 

We broke into two groups of about 10 - each group had class 1 full day and a great roll chart trail ride the other day.  Well worth the money, whether you have 2 years or 20+ years of experience.  I know several of the students in my class had taken previous classes, so he gets alot of repeat business.  The Class I took seemed between his current 'Level 1' and 'Level 2' descriptions - most of my Class was B level racers.

BTW, anyone considering Dave's classes should carefully read who the class is targeted for.  Be honest in assessing your abilities and sign up for the right class.   Email him if you are not sure.  He likes to give the students some challenges, and for advanced classes that will mean private trails that are more difficult than anything in the USFS system.   I think Natalie (GETMETOCA) took one of the lower level classes which rode Trail 6 at Foresthill. 

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I've taken two classes from Dave Wood.  He is a very challenging instructor for sure.  The first class I took was for true beginners and it was geared for women just learning to ride.  The second class I took was a level 2 class and greatly challenged my abilities with a 10 hour day of drills and a Black Diamond trail at Forrest Hill I had a great amount of difficulty on.  Nevertheless, Dave makes sure everyone gets through it.  He had help from Mike Pascarella and Mick Brejwo and everyone came away exhausted and happy.  I can't say I'd ride that same trial again, but did come away with a better feeling for single track next to cliffs and rocky switchbacks.

I highly recommend the class.

MudnRocks

Apr 15, 2003
Hi ya'll,

Does he only instruct in the Cali area? I ride singletrack, rocky stuff and could use some more instruction!!

And... where would I look to find people who give classes?

Thanks for your info.
Kimberly

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Kimberly, he holds classes in Norther California regularly, but he will also instrtuct private classes or one on one (fee higher for obvious reasons). He's a DRN member here, so do a search for Dave Wood or tonight I will send his email address.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
FePrincess/SFO,
Do a search on my user name and you'll find several threads about Dave's class and my experiences - both good.

I had the pleasure of attending the Women's Oregon school as a 'day laborer' and was very impressed with the way the school was laid out with dedicated sections/obstacles & multiple instructors. IMO this was the ultimate teaching environment but it also requires a lot more resources - time/planning/support - than Dave's classes. Dave's classes were a combination of trail riding and instruction/drills at various locations along the trail. Don't get me wrong - I learned a lot from Dave (I can stand to learn a lot more) I'm just making an observation about the different 'types' of schools/instructions.

You'll learn a lot at one of Dave's classes.

Brian

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Here is some more info on the Dave Wood classes that he advertises:

Riders provide there own bike, riding gear, water and food. I teach drills, riding techniques and skills to help the rider ride Faster, Safer and Use less Energy. The class usually rides up to 35 miles.

Level 2 class is geared to "B" and "C" riders. Level 2 is NOT a beginner class. Riders who have completed a Cross Country race, Family Enduro or Enduro. Riders who are comfortable riding Green and Blue trails. We will ride Challenging High Sierra trails. Class begins at 9:00 am

Level 1 class is geared to "A" and "B" riders, meaning you have earned the ranking in competition. A copy of your D36 card or other sanctioning body is required to enter the Level 1 class. Riders who like riding Black Diamond and Double Black Diamond trails. We will ride Very Challenging High Sierra trails. Contact me if you would like to participate in a Level 1 class. Class begins at 9:00 am

I also offer a Beginner class. Contact me if you would like to participate in a Beginner class.

Locations of rides will only be disclosed once your entry is received. The areas we ride are usually within 2 hours of Sacramento. During the summer months we ride at various locations in the High Sierra.

The Entry fee for Level 1, Level 2 or the Beginner class is $125.00. If you have attended a previous class, the entry fee is $100.00. Rider limit has been reduced from TEN to EIGHT riders for Level 1, Level 2 and Beginner group classes.

Weekday Private lessons are $250.00. Contact me to schedule a Private class.

Weekday Group lessons $800.00 (4 to 10 riders). This is where you put your own group together. Contact me to schedule a Private Weekday Group Class. This is the most economical option, $80.00 each, with 10 riders.

If the class is held on the scheduled date, there will be NO REFUNDS. One may sell your entry to another rider, provided rider meets the qualifications for the class Level. If the class is rescheduled and you are unable to attend the new date, a 100% refund will be issued, provided you notify me within seven days of the announcement of the new date, (email).

For more information contact me at dwoodcre@aol.com

To enter please send a check to:
Dave Wood
PO Box 815
Chicago Park, CA 95712-0815

Please include your:
Name
Address
City
State
Zip
Phone(s)
Email
Bike
Ranking ("A" "B" "C" or Beginner)

Skills or Techniques you would like me to cover?

Mach 1 Motosports, Fox Racing, KTM, Motul, Smith goggles, Motion Pro, Braking, GPR and Clarke Mfg.

AMA Charter Life member
Blue Ribbon Coalition

MudnRocks

Apr 15, 2003
Thank you for your info Natalie.
Sounds like his class's would be great, Sac's a long way to haul tho. Have to think about how I could swing that one.

Happy Trails
Kimberly

Top Bottom