David Bailey Benefit: The Icon needs your support

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Dear friends in the motocross community,

[img2=left]http://dirtrider.net/news/Bailey_PR.jpg[/img2]This letter is about David Bailey. Unfortunately, it is not a time to talk about how well David is doing at overcoming adversity. It is not a time to talk about how once again David has shown the unbelievable resolve to overcome recent significant physical setbacks. This is a letter to ask for help.

Most of you know David's history and dedication to the sport of motocross. You know of his great successes, and also of the great sacrifice that David paid, ultimately ending his career and confining him to a wheelchair for the rest of his life.

Over the past twenty years, David has always lent a hand and done what he could to help other injured riders when possible. He is unaware that some of his closest friends and family have now reached the conclusion that his recent setbacks have simply escalated to the point of needing emergency financial assistance in an immediate fashion. David is in a very bad place as we type this. The Phrase “It’ll get worse, before it gets better” is definitely the case here. David has already undergone one surgery and is now in need of financial help for the next. Physically, he is broken and needs special medical attention immediately - which he cannot afford at this time.

We are asking the motocross community to please pull together and help David. Time is of the essence, and the situation is very serious. We ask that you donate whatever you can afford as soon as possible to The Full Circle Foundation. This foundation helps athletes like David to get help when needed, and was founded by one of the Bailey's good friends a few years ago. The Full Circle Foundation knows of and understands the very serious position that David is in, and they will be responsible for making sure your donation helps David directly.

Those of us who know David personally understand that he does not feel comfortable asking people for anything, especially with the timing of what has happened recently with fellow riders Ernesto Fonseca and James Marshall. We are currently in the process of planning other benefits due to the fact that the amount of money needed is quite substantial. Since immediate medical attention is of the utmost importance, it is imperative that we begin fundraising immediately.

Please Donate today:
Visit http://www.fullcirclefoundation.com and click on the "Donate Now" link at the bottom of the page and choose "Clinic Program", or

Please mail all checks to:

Full Circle Foundation
Attn: David Bailey Fund
3585 Keefer Road
Chico, CA 95973

Full Circle Foundation is a 501c(3) tax-deductible foundation. (All letters will be forwarded to David and a tax-deductible receipt will be mailed to you for all checks sent)

Before you finish this letter and decide to perhaps do something tomorrow or next week, please understand that we would never ask for help for a person like David Bailey without completely understanding how dire the situation has become.

Sincerely,
Friends of David Bailey
Mark Edwards
Todd Jacobs
Rick James (father of Ricky James)
Don Flaner (president - Full Circle Foundation)
Shawn DeCloedt
Donn Maeda (editor – Transworld MX)
Davey Coombs (editor – Racer X)
Ryan Hughes
Johnny O’Mara
James Stewart
Dan Harvell (Cahuilla Creek MX)
Johnny Leach
Cliff White (American Honda)
Bob Babbitt (Challenged Athletes Foundation/Competitor Magazine)
David Evans (MX Edge)
Ludovic Boinnard (One Industries)
Marc Blanchard (One Industries)
Danny Dobey (One Industries)
David Izer (DMXS Radio)
Kevin Kelly (DMXS Radio)

Please read the statement below from Don Flaner, president of Full Circle Foundation, regarding David’s medical situation:

David has developed a very dangerous pressure sore that has become so deep that it has become life threatening. Insurance is only taking care of part of the medical costs and David now requires much needed medical attention that goes beyond insurance. As many of you know David is the Spokesperson for Full Circle Foundation and FCF is very involved with the Reeve-Irvine Center. We were very fortunate to have had time with Christopher Reeve. Unfortunately for all of us, and the reason for our concern, is that Christopher died from this same type of infection that David now has, and that has now made this extremely important.

I am very proud to have David as a friend and incredibly grateful for all of the work he has done for Full Circle Foundation, especially the nights he has sat up answering letters and emails consoling others that have been injured. His continued dedication to our sport is incredible, and his desire to help others is way beyond that of a mere mortal. It is now payback time.

Don Flaner
President Full Circle Foundation

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
This SUCKS!!! :ugg:

Dig deep, people.

Hillister

Feb 19, 2004
Maybe Honda should pay his bill?

This brings up a very interesting point. The motorcycle industry hires these kids to go out and risk their life. We give them a $15.00 plastic trophy, print their name in a magazine, pat them on the back when they are winning, and give them a few thousand dollars for their efforts. Only a few become actually financially secure. Most are forgotten. Especially if they are hurt like David. How many Honda products were sold because of David? How many event organizers, motorcycle gear companies made money from his appearance and endorsements? Did David get his fair share? Does the motorcycle industry owe David more than they have given him? If I was on a jury, I would vote to see that David gets his needed medical attention. I like motorcycles and motorcycle people but I don't like people being taken advantage of and left out in the cold. As an industry, we can do better than this. :yell:

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Sometimes bad things happen to good people.

There are a lot of good organizations out there trying to raise money for research and to help people.

I can't give to them all, it just isn't realistic, but DB is one that I am willing to open my check book for. I respect his accomplishments before and after his injury and truly enjoyed watching the races that he helped commentate.

I hope that he makes a recovery from this and is around for many more years.

skabeeb

Nov 28, 2001
Count us in!

We met David briefly at SX in Atlanta a few years ago and he was very nice to my son!

Our prayers are with him!

ph320

Jun 17, 2003
That really does suck! I think that the industry should help pitch in to help him out. It has been 3 days since this was posted, has anyone see any updates as to how he is doing?

+30

Aug 2, 2005
This is a great chance for us to be able to help our Hero and fellow rider, David Bailey. I remember as a kid trying to imitate Davids smooth style in my bmx racing, which naturally helped...No matter where this guy goes he inspires people, his racing career, ironman, broadcasting, editorials, mx schools, support of numerous charities, you name it. We have to get together on this one, all these years he has given his best to everything he does. Its our chance to do something, and I think the man sure a he** deserves our best!

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
i have a very good friend that is confined to a wheelchair from an "off road accident" (end over end in a bronco). he has suffered from the same affliction several times. people in wheelchairs are prone to pressure point sores and kidney/urinary infections. pressure point sores are difficult to heal as there is little blood circulation in the lower extremeties due to atrophy. over time, the infections are harder to get rid of as the infection causing agents mutate and build tolerance to normal antibiotics. when rusty has an infection, it usually takes cypro(sp)? and it is some very expensive stuff.

rusty can only get this treatment if his condition is so bad that he has to be admitted to a hospital. thats right, his fever hits 103-104 before they let him in. this is medicare procedure. rusty, like david, is in a tough spot. rusty was elgible for medicare/social security benefit after his accident. rusty, like david, has not let his injury slow him down. he hunts, fishes, and wants things that most of us want. he does not want it given to him. he wants to support himself. this is where the government has got it all wrong. he is allowed to make a set amount of money a month(think 20hrs a week at a low paying retail position) before the government takes away his medical coverage. somehow he has to go from making 9k a year to a job that pays 45-50k a year and hope nothing happens when he loses medicare and is dealing with the preexisting condition clause that his "private" insurance will certainly have.

the government wants these people to stay at home because it punishes people like rusty for trying to lead as normal a life as possible while i have to watch no-good baby making welfare/housing/food stamp getting folks live for free and dont intend to work or try to change their situation. makes me sick.

prayers are with ya david and all of those in your situation.

shark toilet

Aug 9, 2006
What follows is a post (his only post) from a very sick individual. If this person were on fire I wouldn't even waste my urine to put it out.

Mully

wtf? millions of people worldwide are in suffering (not that i care about them either, but thats beside the point), what gives this ex-PROFESSIONAL MOTOCROSS RACER the right to ask for money? goddamn disgusting. "late nights spent answering emails"... is this a joke? this cant be for real. i feel ill.

Last edited by a moderator:

shark toilet

Aug 9, 2006
you HAVE to be kidding. this is beyond retarded - would this david bailey character donate money to me if i had aids and couldnt afford retro-virals because id spent all my money on prostitutes, alcohol and recreational substances? no, i dont think so.

RedRacer1137

Aug 31, 2006
I really do wish i could help but im only a 15year old boy who barely makes enough money to take care of himself so yeah. Sorry to hear about this bad news and if theirs something I could do i would appreciate it if someone told me.

Well from where i can i guess ill i can do is hope that he gets better. Maybe this will all work out in the end

Jonny Quest

Apr 8, 2003
C'mon guys, we're not talking about one person giving hundreds or even thousands to help David! There is stength in NUMBERS... If every person from this site gave $10.00, the price of gas to our nearest mx track (which David helped pave the way for or inspired your local track owner who ended up building a track), how many much needed THOUSANDS of dollars would that be to help David with his surgical bills?!?!

THERE IS STRENGTH IN NUMBERS!!!

Prayers are what he needs, but GOD himself said "faith without works is FRUITLESS".

DieToRide2007

Jan 2, 2007
Please Pray Fro Him

I FEEL FOR YOU BUDDY
MY PRAYERS ARE OUT FOR YOU AND I HOPE EVERY ONE CAN PUT FORTH AN EFFORT TO HELP HIM AND I WOULD HELP IF I WAS FINANCIALY STABLE BUT I WILL DO WHAT I CAN MABEY PULL A FEW STRINGS WITH A COUPLE COMPANYS THAT ARE IN MY FAMILY ONCE AGAIN MY HEART IS WITH THE FAMILY MY PRAYERS ARE TO YOU
JUSTIN :bang: I WISH I HAD MONEY FOR YOU BUDDY

Top Bottom