DougTx

~SPONSOR~
Oct 5, 2008
Hey guys,

Snuck a ride in on the CR a little today. It feels really strong and runs well. I am doing some inital maintenence on the bike even though the guy did his maintenance (even showed me how on some of it...nice guy) I want to make sure the oil is changed on the crankcase, fresh plug, cleaned and re-oiled filter etc,etc plus it lets me get to know my bike a little better.

One part of the deal and reason I got a really good price on the bike was that the pipe has the obligatory dent in it.

When I ride the bike it seems fine but I know dents, I attached a picture if that helps, in the pipe are not a good thing. (No hole that I can see).

My options are (I think)

1) Leave it alone, ride as is
2) Try a dent puller and weld a bead over the screw hole then BBQ black it
3) Send it off to a service to repair it (tehy heat and blow it up or some such thing)
4) Buy a new pipe?

I really like how the bike runs and suspect a new pipe may mean new jetting and I am not really down for that right this early. I believe the pipe to be stock. It has an FMF shorty silencer on it (I am re-packing it after this e-mail)

Any thoughts or suggestions? Anyone have an undented CR250 stock ppe from a 2001 type that they don't want?

Looking for ideas and info... I am ok for now...it runs well but I would like to get it resolved.

Thanks tons guys..
Doug

Attachments

• Pipedent [].JPG
    Pipedent [].JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 339

slodad

Sep 4, 2005
That dent appears to be mostly cosmetic. I doubt that you will feel any change in performance by fixing it. I've had two pipes repaired at motocrosspiperepair.com and am pleased with the job they did. The pipes didn't come back looking like new, but they were close enough. The price is right and the service prompt. If it was mine, I'd get it fixed, but just because I like things to look nice.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Pacific Coast Pipe repair is one of the big names.

But really unless you crush the pipe they are cosmetic more than any HP loss.

If you have a large freezer, remove the pipe. fill it will water - dont cap the ends!. Then freeze over nite. Then take it out, let it thaw about an hour, freeze it again over nite. Do that one more time and the dent will be mostly out.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
A buddy of mine did the freezer trick.. Split the pipe at the welds. It's straight, but it's useless unless he get's it welded.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I'd probably sand the rust off, paint it and ride it the way it is. And I'd keep my eye out for a good used pipe on the 'bay for a good price. But I'd keep the old pipe around for a backup or for certain nasty places I may occassionally ride where the likelyhood of this happening again is strong.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Leave it alone. Really doesn't make a difference.

Top Bottom