detachable arm guards on chest protectors

mattb348

Aug 2, 2005
About 5 days ago I fell off the back of my friends banshee 350 four wheeler doing like 35 MPH and landed on dried clay that was pretty much as hard as pavement. I got slammed into the ground right on my left shoulder so hard that it almost broke my damn shoulder (and this was with a chest protector on).

Now My shoulder hurts like hell when I move it certain ways, and goes all tingly if I move it certain ways as well. That, and theres a huge scab/bruise on the side of my shoulder now too.

My question is this: do you think if I actually would of had my detachable upper arm guards on, would it of helped any? I started using them and it seems to hold down the shoulder gaurds better, and seems like it would keep the side of my shoulder from hitting the ground. I think the reason my shoulder got so smashed was becuase it hit the ground on the side before I rolled over and then my shoulder guard also got beat up. My right shoulder never even felt a thing, and the shoulder guard was scuffed to hell and back; it looks like I flipped on pavement doing like 100 MPH lol! The whole chest protector is pretty scuffed now. It was a nice looking brand new fox airframe; now it looks like it has been through like 100 motocross races LOL!

Anyways, do you guys think the detachable upper arm guards are worth wearing? I don't really wanna hit the ground and cartwheel doing 35MPH again to find out :)

trakkerman

Nov 12, 2001
Any protection is better than no protection.

That being said, I used the upper arm shields on my chest protector for exactly 5 minutes. I ride some tight woods trails and I am pretty wide. I'm always catching my shoulders on tree limbs. It only took 5 minutes to catch a limb and destroy the snap connection for one of the shields. Now I don't wear them and I have bruises and scraps after every ride.

You should get the shoulder/arm X-Rayed. My experience is anything that tingles is usually broken.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The snap-on upper arm guards are mainly for roost protection. I don't think they would offer much if any additional shoulder protection in a serious crash. The little elastic straps are not going to do much to hold the chest protector in position if you start rolling on the ground at high speed.

kwb377

Dec 30, 2004
Arm Guards

I wear mine, but mainly for the extra protection (albeit miniscule) against puncture should I land on something sharp and pointy.

Top Bottom