Vampyrz

Oct 21, 2004
I suffered a detached retina about 3 years ago. I had been seeing stars and light flashes while riding my street bike, then one day while on a long ride it got much worse and I knew I had a serious problem.

I had my eye repaired and spent 3 months with very restricted movement while the eye healed, then another 9-12 months taking it pretty easy. I wasn't to ride a bike again for 2 years, and other than a charity run I've followed the Dr's orders.

Now I'm dying to get back on a bike but pretty nervous since the detachment manifested itself while I was riding. If anyone else has been through this and is riding again I'd like to know how your eye is doing, if you've had a recurrence, if you still have to take it easy, or if things are back to normal.

Thank you much!

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
Sorry I cant shed any light on your situation. I'm in a similar boat to you though, I have recently had a corneal graft and was told not to ride for the next 12 months or so. Prior to the surgury I broke both wrists, another 4 months off. All I can really say is listen to the Dr as they usually know best and I hope you heal quickly. I feel your pain !!!

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Damn! Sorry to hear about both of those! Please keep us updated on how they progress.

Vampyrz...any chance you could make it over to Aonia for a ride sometime soon?

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Sorry, I cant help you much either, but up until today I had never heard of a detached retina before, until this morning when I got promoted at work because a guy there suffered a detached retina and is off work for a long time. Now I come home and read this, Im getting scared! Are these common? They sound very serious. Hope you get back on a bike soon!

Vampyrz

Oct 21, 2004
KayDeeExer- I did a search and read about your corneal graft. Sounds much worse than what I went through. I wish you a speedy recovery. Hope you're back in the saddle soon! I'm about as good as I'm going to get on mine, and it's not too bad.

High Lord Gomer- Thank you much for your concern but I'm good for now! I'm down near Tallahassee. I'm pretty wrapped up until after the holidays but I'd love to come up to Aonia. I am going to take in the Capitol City Enduro in Tallahassee this weekend. Hope to get some good pix and maybe some video.

fatty_k- Sorry to hear about your co-worker. Detached retinas aren't very common if I remember correctly. I think the most common cause is impact or head trauma. I was punched and kicked in the head a few times too many back when I thought that was a fun thing to do. I had an atypical detachment in that instead of the eye walls separating, a u-shaped chunk of retina and the underlying tissue came loose. It's considered worse but heals better so that is actually a good thing. If you don't have it repaired you'll lose the sight in that eye, and the chances are that even with a repair you'll lose at least some vision. Thanks much and I'll be riding soon!

Thanks much for the response!

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Both my mom and her business partner had detached retinas. Moms was from a sinus infection. Neither are athletes so I'm not much help there. How is your vision in that eye now? I know my moms has never been quite as good but she has always had bad eyes. Good luck.

Vampyrz

Oct 21, 2004
Hey DWreck,
sorry to hear about your mom and her business partner. I did lose some vision but at least I'm still functional. Thanks much and take care!

nitropimp

Nov 29, 2003
There have been a few Top Fuel drivers (Big Daddy, Joe Amato) that have experienced a detached retina. This was due to the deceleration (-3 G's) when the chutes deployed.

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
Thanks Vampyrz I wish you the same good luck and quick healing... I suppose absence makes the heart grow fonder...LOL. I look on the bright side at least we still have some vision, I take my hat to people with bad inpairments who can't see at all..
BTW What I suffer from is called KERATOCONUS. Its a disease that turns the cornea conical in shape rather than a symetrical convex.
OR
A conical protrusion of the center of the cornea caused by noninflammatory thinning of the stroma and usually affecting both eyes. Also called conical cornea.

anca

Nov 7, 2003
Actually detached retina is a problem that can happen to everybody. Diabetes and myopia are diseases that are increasing the risk. I have the same surgical procedure (vitrectomy) that is used for detached retina. I had blood in my eye after I was hit by the spring from the fork. I’m wearing glasses so the eye was also perforated and I was almost to loose my left eye. After 3 months from accident I’m riding again, the only thing I have to avoid is to be hit again, is no problem even if I crash and get KO . Mx is no problem but woods riding is not that easy because I see only 30% with the left one, I can’t look far enough. Now I’m afraid that it will become a bad habit to look only at short distance in front. The good thing is that the situation is slowly getting better. The shock caused also problems to the lens and cornea.
As I was in hospital I have seen people with very big eye problems from puerile accidents. Please wear protective goggles when working, there was a 25 old guy which has lost his eye after a piece of metal fly from a nail when he was trying to put a painting on the wall.

Vampyrz

Oct 21, 2004
Fortunately I didn't have the vitrectomy. I did have some blood leak into the eye but it's cleared up quite a bit. They used cryotherapy to tack the tear back in place, then pressurized it with a gas bubble. This was done under a local anesthetic in the office since I had no insurance at the time. Man was that ever fun. :(

I'm much more careful about my eyes now. I always loved contact sports which we're sure was the main factor. I'm a lover not a fighter now. :yeehaw:

After hearing about your injury and Kay Dee Exer's corneal graft I really feel fortunate about my problem. I'm really surprised that you are back in action so soon though. I spent 3 months mostly laying on my side while the gas bubble was absorbed by my body. My vision was useless in that eye but gradully improved. Even after a year it was improving. Hopefully yours will continue to improve as well.
Take care!

..edited for stupid typos..

Supersal

Oct 10, 2013
Have you started riding again after your detatchment?
It's been 7 months for me to heal and now I have had cataract surgery in the other eye...doc says no Riding for awhile.

Top Bottom