Differences between CR, KX, RM, and YZ

Choopy

Dec 27, 2004
Im a new member to the site and im looking into buying a dirt bike, and id like to know what the letters stand for. Example, Yz and etc. Does that stand for maybe the type of racing a bike is for, or how much power it produces? TIA, Choopy :bang:

crazyYammi

Aug 31, 2004
they are german abbreviations for color.. this is how you pick out the color of your bike.

seriously though go to the food store and get some dirt bike magazines, you will become familiar with this stuff soon enough

Choopy said:
Im a new member to the site and im looking into buying a dirt bike, and id like to know what the letters stand for. Example, Yz and etc. Does that stand for maybe the type of racing a bike is for, or how much power it produces? TIA, Choopy :bang:

john3_16

May 17, 2004
The YZ is Yamaha's 2 stroke line of motocross racing motorcycles...The CR is Honda's, KX is Kawasaki's, and RM is Suzuki's 2 stroke line of mx racing motorcycles..

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Technically, thee are differences between the bikes. But for a new rider, it makes more sense to buy by color than any minute difference, perceived or real. You can’t go wrong with any of them.

brentl

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 19, 2002
The CR stands for close ratio
The KX for Kawasaki 'crosser I guess?

Now the SX could well be Supercross/MX

But....any ideas on RM And YZ or will we never have a clue?

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
I think YZ is basically Y for yamaha Z for the latest or ultimate. I had an RM when I was a youngster and my sister said what does RM mean, ride me?

Choopy

Dec 27, 2004
Thanks for helpin me out guys. I bought a dirt bike mag today and hopin to get all the info out of it that i can. Peace

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
The letters don't stand for anything. My advice is that you talk to a few people (some here, some you know) before you buy a bike. You don't want to buy a bike that is over your head.

For example, When I was 16, I wanted to buy a streetbike, so I read the magazines and determined that I needed a SUZUKI GS1150ES (ya, right). When I went to the dealer I luckily came in contact with a salesman who persuaded me to look at the GS550E. It was half the size and had no fairing to break when I crashed it. I ended up getting the 550ES which had a faring. I bought the bike took it in a parking lot to get used to it and dropped it 5 minutes after I left the dealer (at about 2mph). The tires were new and slick, plus the parking lot just had that new slick topping on it. Add to that morning dew and a rider with ZERO experience and you have the situation I got myself into. Luckily all I did was break off the sideview mirror and scare my parents.

Sooooooooooo, Don't buy a bike too big for you and get a lot of help when you first learn to ride.

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
Choopy said:
Thanks for helpin me out guys. I bought a dirt bike mag today and hopin to get all the info out of it that i can. Peace

Any (or all) of these will do fine:
Motocross Action Magazine
TransWorld Motocross
DirtRider Magazine

Top Bottom