TheWicked0ne

Jun 10, 2001
Hey all,

I am planning to start motocross or dirtbiking and general, so I looked up some things on the internet and come upon your site. It is a very nice site and it looks helpful for newbies like me.;)
Well, I have a few questions. I really don't have the money to get a couple bikes in the future, I want a powerful bike, but enough to where I can handle it.
I am 5'7'' and about 115 lbs. and an experienced 4-wheeler and enjoy it. Dirtbiking has been a dream for me and I would appreciate it if anyone could help me figure out what I need to get started.

Sincerely,
James

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Tell us how old you are as well, Wicked One.
I see you are from the boring state of Indiana. Trust me, if you get into motocross, Indiana is far from a boring state. There are only a couple of states that have more motocross tracks than Indiana.

Being 5'7" you will find a full framed dirtbike feeling a bit tall for you. Don't let that discourage you though as there are many things to be done to help with that. I feel may young quad riders wanting to migrate to the better of the dirting sports will find a 4 stroke bike like a Honda XR200 to be a great first bike. It is a bit smaller than the full frame, but will fit you just right. It is not a motocrossr though, even though it looks the part.
Let us know a bit more about yourself and you will get loads of help.

No matter what you do, anyone you talk to here will advocate safety gear FIRST! We all ride WITH helmets and try to keep safety for ourselves and our brothers and sisters in mind at all times.

Welcome my friend.

quadhunter

Oct 21, 2001
QUADS ARE NOTHIN COMPARED TO BIKES SO THAT DOSEN'T MATTER. FOR A FIRST BIKE I WOULD GET A KAWISAKI KDX 200/220, BECAUSE THERE 2 STROKE BUT ARE GOOD IN THE TRAILS. IF UR GONNA RACE MABE A YZ 125 CR 125 RM125. OR IF UR DOIN ONLY TRAILS . A 4 STOKE LIKE A TTR 250/225, XR 250,

TheWicked0ne

Jun 10, 2001
Age.

I am 14 going to be 15 soon. My father talked to his friend in the dirt biking industry and could get me set up with a used 125 or something. I am looking forward to upgrade to a Suzuki RM 125

If my age helps any let me know.

Thank you all,
James
:confused:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Your age (or maturity) does play an important role in this, although you prolly don't think so. :)

A used 125 will probably be a good bike to have. Just beware that they can be a handful of bike. My boy is 13 and in his first year of dirt biking. I ended up getting him a yz125 because he is so tall. (5'10") He is doing fine but he cannot do near the rough riding he did with his XR100. He was very confident and would try anything on that bike, problem is the xr100 can't take that kind of riding. The yz tamed him quite a bit. But he has some good skills from his first bike experience.
Just keep getting your dad involved and you should be fine.

crazycr125

Uhhh...
Sep 30, 2001
thats true anyone will learn habits on a little xr but when you get on a real bike ull feel nervous(happened to me after riding a xr200) but if you take your time you will be fine.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by quadhunter
QUADS ARE NOTHIN COMPARED TO BIKES SO THAT DOSEN'T MATTER. FOR A FIRST BIKE I WOULD GET A KAWISAKI KDX 200/220, BECAUSE THERE 2 STROKE BUT ARE GOOD IN THE TRAILS. IF UR GONNA RACE MABE A YZ 125 CR 125 RM125. OR IF UR DOIN ONLY TRAILS . A 4 STOKE LIKE A TTR 250/225, XR 250,
WHAT DID YOU SAY?? WE COULDN'T HEAR YOU....

Top Bottom