a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Yes, they also did a shoot out with those new fangled 4 smokers! Yuk!

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
Coop, any specific info you are looking for?

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
I just got mine today and have just started reading. the short of the shoot out is as follows.......
(10 point max)
FORK
Hon 9.2
Suz 9.0
Yam 8.5
Ktm 8.3
Kaw 7.5

SHOCK
Hon 9.3
Yam 9.0
Suz 8.9
Kaw 8.6
Ktm 8.3

HANDLING
Yam 9.2
Hon 9.1
Suz 8.7
Kaw 8.5
Ktm 8.3

ERGOS
Yam 9.4
Hon 9.3
Suz 8.9
Kaw 8.2
Ktm 7.9

MOTOR
Yam 9.6
Ktm 9.4
Suz 8.8
Hon 8.0
Kaw 8.0

WEIGHT
Hon 218 lb
Suz 223 lb
Ktm 225 lb
Yam 226 lb
Kaw 227 lb

STANDARD EQUIP. / FIT & FINISH
Ktm 9.6
Hon 9.3
Yam 9.2
Suz 8.5
Kaw 7.9

The preceding stats are stolen from dirtrider mag and do not necessarily represent the views of dirtrider.net :D

Mar 29, 2001
I read everything with a grain of salt. It's all just funny sometimes. I can't run out and plop down more money when what I have is still new so I can't afford riding and liking the new one.:(

E-WA

~SPONSOR~
Oct 15, 2001
The thing that I think is funny is how they really liked the CR in their miny test and then ripped it in this test. Go figure....

Marklx

May 24, 2001
Just received my issue last night, a week after everyone else, and all things considered, thought it gave some good info.

While the editorial opinions should be taken with a grain of salt, there is good info to be gleaned from all the stats, setup info, comments etc to help guide you to what might work in your individual situation. They try to say something nice about each bike, which is under$tandable, but they $till try to give some critical input. You just have to read carefully.

What really pops out of the review to me is that there are no turkeys. Just differences in approach. And then there is that frightening ktm motor, but it must be a freak of nature. Someone needs to pop that motor in a more suitable chassis.

Having purchased an RM well before any reviews came out, I hear all the traits, good and bad, that steered me toward the yellow bike. None of the reviews would have changed my decision, as the rm +'s were what I was looking for, and the -'s didn't apply to my riding "style". My perfect bike would be the yz motor in the rm chassis, but the yz is too tall for me. Having read the cycle news and dirt bike mag 250 reviews, I think the Dirt Rider review is fairly consistent. But as always, go ride 'em first. They are all so much more capable than most mere mortals could ever take advantage of, so pick the right color and comfort and enjoy.

Mark

Marklx

May 24, 2001
This is slightly off topic, but as people seem to be buying the '02 Rm's, please post any tuning tips, suspension mods, what worked and what didn't. I think the bike has tremendous potential, but due to limited ride time, I tend to just ride and not fiddle with fine tuning. It took me two rides to get the jetting where db and dr mags arrived at. Had I had those reviews, would've saved lots of gas on the floor and cursing neighbors! Keep those tips coming

Mark

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
This was the best shootout article I've seen in awhile. Yeah the mags this - the mags that. The info was really interesting and the dyno run chart was extremely interesting. Looks like the Suzuki, Honda, KTM and Yamaha are all great bikes that might each work better for different riding styles. I can't believe the KTM puts out almost 50 ponies!!!! That's amazing. The midrange on that Katoom absolutely kills !!!! If it was me - I'd buy the Honda. next in line the KTM, then the Suzuki. What can I say - I just have a weird thing against Yamahas. No good reason - I just do. :)

cannpn

Dec 9, 2001
Honda won the Dirt Bike Mag shoot out.DB and DR switched place from last year with the CR and YZ.The DR shoot out was just on speedvision.The test riders seemed to all agree on the YZ.Some said the Katoom had to much power.cannon

The Rock

Nov 25, 2001
coop... from your signature it says you have an '02 YZ250.... You already own the best bike on the planet... ALL THINGS CONCIDERED!!!

A buddy that races with me has an 01' CR250... as soon as he rode my 01'YZ250 he went out and bought the '02 YZ250, and the CR is collecting dust. He knows his stuff, hes been racing and riding for 30 years and he is currently the #1 rider in the Yucatan Pinisula. Im sure even more than just this pininsula... he just hasnt had a chance to race the rest of the country.

The biggest problem with his CR is the frame... its to rigid and tires you out. The YZ handles better hands down, you just point and shoot. I added about 11oz to my flywheel and it really helps lay the power to the ground, and put carbon fiber reeds. Guess what... for 02' the YZ added weight to the fly wheel and has carbon fiber reeds stock. Well the FIRST day he got his YZ he shaved two to three seconds off his record time on the CR after having it for a year. He even sent his cylinder the Eric Gor and had some work done to it to improve the power.. and my 01' YZ250 was still more responsive and powerful. . Eric Gore did a fabulous job on the cylinder also. His suspension was also sent in for an upgrade... he spent close to $1,000 and guess what he told the guy... "make them feel just like the YZ suspension".

Honda needs to go back to the 86' chassi, and Honda needs to get over the aluminum frame... they screwed up and they can not admit it. Why do you think McGraf originally broke the deal with Honda??? Because he refused to ride the new aluminum frame... he races to win, not promote bikes. NOW the 02' CR250 is a case reed motor... come on... that works for 125's... not 250's. Hondas just begging. I dont want to offend any Honda riders... but these are facts... Dont get me wrong... the Honda is a good bike... but the Yamaha is better.

Yamaha is the best bike to date.

Hope this helped

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
From what I understand, Honda has finally nailed down the frame issue with the new 2002. Supposedly fantastic.

02'Cr Rider

~SPONSOR~
Nov 20, 2001
The 02'Cr 250 has a excellent frame finally.The best frame yet for the CR.The engine is OK.I like my new CR,and handles great.The YZ is also a excellent bike,powerful engine.You just got to ride all bikes and choose one that fits you,casuse they are great.Its just weird riding one bike to the next brand.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Some riders go better on different brands-i had a 01 KTM125 with one of the most poweful engines ever(for a 125) but im way faster on the 01 Cr125 with less of an engine.The Handling on the 02 Crs is the best ive ever ridden full stop.The YZs handle nice but i dont think they stand out in any one area-they arnt as good sterring as the Cr and the 02 YZ 125 i rode had a bad case of headshake as well.Thats my impression of how they stack up.

cannpn

Dec 9, 2001
Hey Rock.I have an 01 YZ250 and was thinking about adding some Flywheel wieght.I do offroad riding also.Give me your opinion.The reeds also.thanks ,cannon.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i finally got to ride an 02 yz 250 today. i was a little disappointed after reading all that you guys are saying about it. as it was setup, i could feel every bump on the track. is the rear end always that skittish? the motor was nice though. i could race it but at the least i would have to do some suspension tuning, possibly some suspension modification. maybe i expected too much.

Top Bottom